Linux Systems Engineer
In order to deliver advanced IT solutions, APA requires Linux engineers adept at solving problems and engineering solutions with experience managing full application stacks from the Linux system up through a custom application, managing part of a network from layer 3 and higher, or web-related programming that includes the consumption of web services.
Education and Experience:
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- 3 – 5 yrs Experience working alongside software/application development team
- 3 – 5 yrs Experience supporting CI/CD workloads
- Expert in installing, configuring and troubleshooting UNIX/Linux based environments.
- 3 – 5 yrs Experience setting up, maintaining and coordinating the automated patch and configuration management of production servers.
- Solid experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks (e.g. Tomcat, JBoss, Apache, Ruby, NGINX)
- Solid Cloud experience, preferably in AWS
- Working knowledge of service-oriented architecture and web services
- Experience with virtualization and containerization (e.g., VMware, Virtual Box)
- Experience with monitoring systems
- Experience with automation software (e.g., Puppet, cfengine, Chef)
- Solid scripting skills (e.g., shell scripts, Perl, Ruby, Python)
- Solid networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP, firewalls & load balancing)
• Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure
• Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
• Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
• Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
• Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
• Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
• Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
• Provide 2nd and 3rd level support
• Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
The American Psychological Association, located at 750 First St NE, Washington D.C., was named a 2014 recipient of the Washington Post Top Workplace. It is metro accessible from the Red Line.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a cover letter and resume specifying your salary requirements. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.