Paraprofessional II - Special Education (2017-2018)
The Paraprofessional II (Special Education) assists in the supervision and instruction of special needs students under the supervision of a certificated teacher in a special education classroom; observes and documents student progress; implements plans for instruction; and provides clerical support to teacher. The Paraprofessional II reports to the Principal.
This position is for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Education: 48 college credits or an AA degree, or be able to demonstrate college level skills in spelling, reading, writing and math by passing a proficiency test.
- Certificates & Licenses: CPR and First Aid Certification strongly desired. If the selected candidate does not have CPR and First Aid Certification, they must be able to obtain both within 6 months of employment.
- Experience: Job related experience within specialized field with increasing levels of responsibility required.
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under the direction of the teacher to provide an opportunity for all special education students to participate in classroom activities.
- Assists children with disabilities on and off the bus.
- Assists students with breakfast, lunch, snack, clean-up, lavatory, clothing, personal hygiene and wash-up.
- Confers with teachers on a regular basis to assist in evaluating special education student progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
- Implements academic instruction taught by a teacher for individuals or small groups to meet learning goals, as described by an IEP and/or district benchmarks.
- Implements behavioral plans designed by IEP team for students with behavior disorders or other special conditions to assist in meeting special education students' needs and provide a consistent environment.
- Instructs special education students (e.g. math groups, science experiments, reading, behavioral skills, daily living skills, writing, verbal skills, etc.) to implement goals for remediation of student deficiencies and ensure students' success.
- Maintains instructional materials and/or student files/records (e.g. adapting instructional materials, student files, checking papers, attendance, audio-visual equipment, set up art/science projects, etc.).
- Monitors special education students (e.g. lunch, playground, during life enrichment activities, etc.) to ensure a safe and positive learning environment.
- Performs record keeping (daily data on instruction and/or behavior) and clerical functions (e.g. correcting papers, copying, instructional materials, etc.) in support of the teacher.
- Responds to emergency situations (e.g. injured student, fights, etc.) and resolves immediate safety concerns.
- Attends meetings and in-service presentations.
- Job related experience within specialized field with increasing levels of responsibility required.