Principal Service Transition & Planning Engineer
- Full Time
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 17141.Solutions Development
Location: McLean, VA
Travel %: Less than 10%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 5 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
Develop, coordinate and facilitate execution of satellite transition plans for the migration of services from one satellite to another taking account of both the customer ground equipment and the satellite payload capabilities. Perform complex technical analysis in developing solutions for customer's satellite delivered services and for anomaly troubleshooting as well as in analyzing communications payload reconfigurations, platform bias changes and beam coverage re-pointing for both Intelsat satellites and 3rd party satellites. Perform satellite capacity utilization studies and develop fleet optimization plans for recommended deployments of Intelsat assets. Prioritize high profile issues that are in development and report appropriate issues to Senior Management. This position will require autonomous work, coordination of cross-functional projects and accountability for communicating decisions and analyses to various stakeholders within the company.
Candidates must have the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical, Communications Engineering, Physics, Math or an equivalent degree with at least 5-7 years of high-level experience in a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of the stated requirements.
- Strong knowledge in Satellite transmission engineering and regulatory constraints for the FSS/BSS industry required (with strong knowledge of Satellite payload performance/capability and earth station performance/capability).
- In-depth knowledge of strategies for the oversight and optimization of satellite fleets, with a strong knowledge of the FSS/BSS industry and trends in the satellite services marketplace.
- Ability to synthesize high level strategic recommendations.
- Effective interpersonal skills, written and oral communication and the ability to present technical information to individuals without a technical / engineering background.
- Strong analytical, negotiation and problem-solving skills, with close attention to detail and the ability to effectively manage competing priorities and handle multiple projects independently.
- Technical knowledge of the design, functionality and operation of ground earth station and/or remote terminal equipment and configurations for commercial satellite communications.
- Technical knowledge of the design, functionality and operation of satellite communications payload subsystem equipment and configurations for geostationary commercial satellites.
More about This Opportunity
- Develop comprehensive satellite conceptual transition plans for newly procured satellites to be used for Intelsat's early pre-commitment sales campaign in coordination with multiple stakeholders.
- Lead the technical/commercial evaluation for complex satellite payload reconfiguration, beam coverage re-pointing and platform bias changes for both Intelsat satellites and 3rd party satellites.
- Perform transmission link budget analysis to develop viable solutions for complex and/or mega-deal customer satellite service proposals as well as for performance troubleshooting of Intelsat's strategic services.
- Perform satellite capacity utilization studies and develop fleet optimization plans for recommended deployments of Intelsat assets to meet capacity requirements in undersupplied regions.
- Perform technical analysis for new satellite design concepts and/or satellite specs non-compliances as well as provide recommendations for new satellite procurement strategy and/or orbital role consolidations.
- Lead and collaborate with cross-functional departments the investigation of operational service issues due to satellite anomalies, ISCO constraints and/or RF interferences and provide recommended solutions.
- Develop high level satellite service restoration plans for individual catastrophic satellite failure event to be used by Finance for in-orbit satellite insurance evaluation and by Corporate Strategy for revenue risk assessment.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.