Summary: The Development Director is responsible for the implementation of all aspects of fundraising for the American Humanist Association and assisting with its adjuncts. The Development Director will report to the Executive Director and helps establish revenue targets and ensure that the targets are met.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise development assistant, assist in supervising the events/social media coordinator and the membership services assistant, and manage any relevant development consultants and interns
- Manage direct mail program, overseeing creative development and planning, which includes writing solicitation letters, cultivation mailings, grant proposals, and thank you letters as well as email and social media fundraising
- Direct major donor program, including arranging for meetings for the executive director, meeting personally with donors facilitate their continued support, and following-up with asks, thank yous, and contemporaneous updates to donor profiles
- Manage relationships with foundations including meetings, inquiries, grant proposals, and reports
- Work with Board of Directors and key donors to plan and implement fundraising events
- Write and edit organizational materials, such as membership brochures, ads, and the annual report
- Manage in the fundraising aspects of the annual conference
- Plan and manage annual fundraising event
- Work with program staff to integrate fundraising strategies
- Bachelors degree or commensurate experience
- At least five years of experience working in nonprofit fundraising
- Meticulous attention to detail and follow up
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, take initiative to discover and take on new projects
- Solid computer skills, including working with social media
- Ability to travel in the U.S. 15-20% of the time.
- Excellent proofreading and copyediting abilities
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge (or other fundraising databases)
- Understanding and interest in the atheist/agnostic humanist movement
- An outgoing personality and public speaking capability is a plus
The AHA offers good benefits, including full health insurance, a generous leave program, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan that includes a partial match.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter and a writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage you to visit our website, www.americanhumanist.org, for more information about our work. The American Humanist Association advocates progressive values and equality for humanists. Our motto is: Good Without a God.