The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
This position will be located in the Directorate of Behavioral Health at FBCH or its clinics. The working environment will be in a clinical setting with a multidisciplinary team with available space to meet with patients and standard office work station.
Who May Apply:
All US Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States.
- Not Required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Degree: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.(NOTE: You MUST attach your transcripts in your application package.)
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as:
Prescribing psychiatric and routine non-psychiatric medications; initiating emergency care and crisis management, conducting interdisciplinary collaboration with providers regarding patient management, to include evaluating and revising therapeutic plans and managing high risk, unstable, and extremely complex patients.
This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-12).
Registration Required: An active, current registration as a processional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. Or have graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months, pending State registration as a professional nurse.
Additional Education Requirement for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN): Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Practitioners who complete their respective specialty programs after 31 December 2001 must be graduates of an accredited master's level or doctoral program acceptable to the Department of Defense that prepares Registered Nurse with additional knowledge and skills to practice in their clinical specialty. (NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts with your application package if your specialty program was completed after 31 December 2011)
Additional Certification Requirement for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN): Advanced Practice Registered Nurse positions require certification by a nationally recognized certifying body appropriate to the specialty area as a Nurse Practitioner or within 12 months of graduation, the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse will achieve certification. (Note: You must submit a current copy of your nationally recognized certification if already obtained)
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of family Nurse Practitioner practices
- Ability to perform health assessments
- Skill in staff/patient education
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position requires you to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical examination.
- This position is covered by the Department of Defense Civilian Employee Drug-Free Workplace Program as a testing designated position (TDP). You are required to pass urinalysis testing, as required prior to appointment and periodically thereafter.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated as Mission Essential and the incumbent must assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.