Health Technician (Paramedic)
The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
This position is located at the Fort Belvoir Community Hospital in Fort Belvoir, VA, providing world-class medical service to the nation's service members and their families. The work involves extended periods of heavy moving and lifting of patients or assisting in the evacuation of victims from entrapment. Generally, the work requires recurring bending, lifting, stooping, stretching and positioning of patients, frequently under adverse conditions, or in confined surroundings. Employee is required to work in all types of weather conditions and faces risks and discomforts at the scene of accidents, to include the possibility of noxious fumes and dangerous substances, requiring the employee to comply with special safety and health precautions and/or to use protective gear.
Who May Apply:
All US Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States.
- Not Required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: responding to emergencies, providing emergency medical care, and transporting injured and ill patients. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-06).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below.
Education Substitution for Specialized Experience for GS-07: One full year of graduate level education related to the work of the position, such as, Emergency Medical Services or Public Safety. (NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts with your application package.)
Combination of Experience and Education Substitution for Specialized Experience for GS-07: If you have some, but not all, of the experience or education described above, you may still qualify by combining the amount of creditable experience and education that you possess. To compute the percentage, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education by 18. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify) (NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts with your application package.)
Selective Placement Factor:
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (NREMT-P) or a National Registry-Paramedic (NR-Paramedic) certification. (Note: You must attach a copy of your certification).
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position requires you to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical examination.
- This position is covered by the Department of Defense Civilian Employee Drug-Free Workplace Program as a testing designated position (TDP).
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated as Mission Essential and the incumbent must assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) or Pediatric Education for Pre-Hospital Providers (PEPP).
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain an Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (EVOC) certification.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a valid state driver's license.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a valid Ft. Belvoir Transportation Motor Pool (TMP) license.
- This position has physical requirement including lifting heavy objects or patients, heavy lifting is defined as over 45 pounds.
- This position requires the ability to work under irregular conditions, such as outdoor, extreme heat or cold, extreme humidity, and at night.