Online Content Specialist
Computercraft seeks a highly skilled individual to perform comprehensive review of electronic submissions to the National Library of Medicine's (NLM) digital archives. The successful candidate will work to ensure that data files accurately represent the original content - full text as well as figures, tables, etc. To learn more about NLM's free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences literature visit http://www.nlm.nih.gov.
The successful candidate will work onsite at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) with experts from NIH's National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) in the National Library of Medicine.
- Process content and load to database using web based tools and UNIX scripts.
- Check accuracy and integrity of source data and online presentation of content.
- Conduct data analysis and troubleshoot errors; coordinate with appropriate personnel to solve programming and content-related issues.
- Track incoming content and the progress of work on multiple projects in development or production stages.
- Answer helpdesk queries from users.
- Serve as a liaison between authors and/or publishers and the NLM.
- Minimum Education Requirement: Bachelor's degree (MLS preferred).
- Two years' experience in publishing or library science environment.
- Familiarity with online publications, specifically electronic journals or books.
- Positive attitude; displays flexibility and patience in a high-volume work environment.
- Comfortable managing multiple projects at once.
- Ability to communicate technical and non-technical information effectively to publishers, developers, and data providers.
- Ability to conduct data analysis and work with developers to implement solutions.
- Ability to work with complex, detailed information.
- Knowledge of XML and/or HTML.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- At least one item from the "Desired Skills" list.
- Experience managing production workflow of an online publication.
- Expertise with electronic image formats (TIFF, GIF, JPEG, EPS, PNG) and with image creation software (for example, Adobe Photoshop).
- Experience editing journal or book content or in journal or book production.
- Experience with UNIX/Linux in a data production environment.
Computercraft offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, and the opportunity for a positive work-life balance with a standard 40 hour work week and the chance to work with accomplished professionals.
Computercraft is an equal opportunity employer.