Student Trainee (Administration), GS-0399-05 (CI-AG)
This position is year-round. During the school year part-time hours will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period, full-time hours may apply. The work schedule may be adjusted to meet the needs of the student's schedule.
In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- You must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); AND
- Enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; AND
- Students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; AND
- The duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
- Not Required
GS-05: All applicants must meet at least one of the following to qualify for the GS-05 level:
A. One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-04 level in the Federal service. Example of GS-04 level work: performing a full range of clerical assignments consisting of related steps, processes or methods which requires knowledge of an organization's programs and operations, rules and processes; OR
B. Successful completion of a full four years (120 semester hours/180 quarter hours) of education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is a prerequisite. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college, or university; OR
C. Equivalent combination of post high school education and specialized experience, as described above (CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO COMBINE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE).
All applicants must meet qualification and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- Students who successfully complete the internship program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent appointment or a term (1-4 years in duration) appointment without further competition. Eligibility requirements for conversion: must be a U.S. Citizen; complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program (*may waive up to a total of 320 hours under specific conditions); successfully complete your degree or certificate requirements from a qualifying institution; meet the qualification requirements for the position to which you will be converted; meet agency-specific requirements as outlined in the Participant's Agreement; and must have performed successfully in your position as documented through performance evaluations. *NOTE: To learn more about the conditions under which a portion of the work experience hours may be waived, visit http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/sw/studentinterns.html.
- If converted to a permanent or term appointment, the anticipated target position will be (Administrative Operations Assistant with full performance level of GS-07); however, the target position and FPL may change based on the need of the organization at that time. Interns must meet the qualification requirements for the position to which converted.
- If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts and/or letter from the school stating you are enrolled in a degree/certificateprogram on at least a half time basis in good standing and your expected graduation date.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.