JOB DESCRIPTION: Systems Engineers ensure the delivery of end-to-end lifecycle information technology capabilities through the use of interdisciplinary approaches (e.g., Computer Science, Engineering, Physical Sciences). They capture and translate mission and customer functional, performance, and support capabilities into requirements; allocate requirements to systems architecture components; oversee development; and test and validate systems and/or services. These engineers coordinate the integration of systems and/or services into the enterprise architecture and oversee deployment.
MANDATORY QUALIFICATION CRITERIA: For this particular job, applicants must meet all competencies reflected under the Mandatory Qualification Criteria to include education (if required). Online resumes must demonstrate qualification by providing specific examples and associated results, in response to the announcement's mandatory criteria specified in this vacancy announcement:
1) Advanced or expert-level knowledge of Systems Engineering, to include hands-on experience;
2) Applying technical leadership and expertise integrating new technology, and/or applying innovative techniques to solve complex implementation and integration IT challenges;
3) End-to-end understanding of systems development lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies and the ability to independently engineer, analyze, and test complex applications, systems, and/or services;
5) Strong communication skills, both written and oral (or in sign language), to be able to convey complex ideas to people at all organizational levels in a logical and understandable manner.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: A. Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Systems Engineering, Engineering, Engineering Management, Information Technology, Mathematics, System Engineering, or a related discipline. -OR- B. Combination of Education and Experience: A minimum of 30 semester (45 quarter) hours of college coursework in any area listed in option A, plus experience working in a System Engineering discipline or in a closely-related field that demonstrates the ability to successfully perform the tasks associated with this work. As a rule, every 30 semester (45 quarter) hours of college work is equivalent to one year of experience. Candidates should show that their combination of education and experience totals 4 years. -OR- C. Experience: Six years of experience in Information Technology, systems planning, research, development, engineering or a closely-related area that demonstrates the ability to successfully perform the tasks associated with this work. Must obtain Level II DAWIA certification in Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering (SPRDE) within 24 months.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION CRITERIA: In addition to the mandatory qualifications, experience in the following is desired:
1) Possessing a range of technical certifications, such as: (a) higher level network-related certifications (e.g., CCNP, CCIE, JNCP, JNCIE, etc.); (b) higher level platform-related certifications (e.g., MCSA, MCSE, MCSD, MCP, RHCE, RHDS, RHCA, LPIC-2, LPIC-3, VCP, VCAP, SNIA, etc.); or (c) higher level systems-related certifications (e.g., ESEP, CSEP, AWS);
2) Experience in enterprise software test development, Service as a Solution, cloud computing, distributed systems, database internals, and/or analytics;
3) Familiarization with Big Data, Search, Cybersecurity, Test and Evaluation (T&E), and/or Cloud technologies;
4) Demonstrated systems engineering project experience (requirements development, requirements management, design, or verification) within a DoD program;
5) Demonstrated applied experience with imaging sensor platforms (synthetic aperture radar (SAR), electro-optical (EO), infrared (IR), or etc.);
6) Experience with NGA architecture and analytic/exploitation tools and services such as RemoteView, SocetGXP, MSP, ERDAS Imagine, ENVI, or ArcGIS.
- Direct Deposit Required
- Two Year Probationary Period
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Position Subject to Drug Testing
- Security Clearance Required
- Top Secret
- Sensitive Compartmented Information
- Polygraph Test Required
You must be able to obtain and retain a Top Secret security clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information. In addition, you are subject to a Counterintelligence Polygraph examination in order to maintain access to Top Secret information. All employees are subject to a periodic examination on a random basis in order to determine continued eligibility. Refusal to take the examination may result in denial of access to Top Secret information, SAP, and/or unescorted access to SCIFs.
Employees with SCI access and who are under NGA cognizance are required to submit a Security Financial Disclosure Report, SF-714, on an annual basis in order to determine continued eligibility. Failure to comply may negatively impact continued access to Top Secret information, Information Systems, SAP, and/or unescorted access to SCIFs.
NGA utilizes all processes and procedures of the Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). Non-executive NGA employees are assigned to five distinct pay bands based on the type and scope of work performed. The employee's base salary is established within their assigned pay band based on their unique qualifications. A performance pay process is conducted each year to determine a potential base pay salary increase and/or bonus. An employee's annual performance evaluation is a key factor in the performance pay process. Promotions may be conducted during the annual pay for performance process or throughout the year via the Assignment Opportunity Notices (AON). Employees on term or temporary appointments are not eligible to apply for internal assignment opportunity notices.
This position is a DCIPS position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to preference eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are an external applicant claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must self-identify your eligibility in our ERecruit application.
This position is funded by the National Intelligence Program (NIP).