ESTIMATOR: Full-Time Career Position
Asphalt General, Beltsville, MD
Do you take pride in your work, want to be valued for your contributions to the team effort, and have a lasting career … then Asphalt General is the place for you. Founded on values and built on integrity, Asphalt General has been serving the MD/DC/VA and Baltimore metro areas for 31 years as a general paving contractor offering a wide variety of asphalt, concrete and related services to commercial, industrial, government and municipal clients. As one of the area’s leading asphalt paving/concrete contractors, we’ve acquired an excellent reputation within the industry.
We’re seeking an experienced estimator in asphalt paving and concrete site flatwork who is detail-oriented and self-motivated with a strong work ethic and desire to succeed. Must be a strategic thinker with strong problem solving skills and have the ability to multi-task and establish priorities. Position requires making assigned or self-generated sales calls, accurately completing plan takeoffs, and estimating to prepare a bid package or written proposal for customer. Estimator will manage all aspects of jobs from close of sale through completion of work. Position requires project management and field supervisory experience.
Minimum Requirements – Essential skills & Qualifications:
- High School Degree or GED.
- Minimum of 3 years estimating experience in asphalt industry.
- Project management and field supervisory experience required.
- Possess ability to work in fast-paced environmental and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong understanding of asphalt paving, concrete site work (curb/gutter & sidewalk), sub-grade, sealcoat, striping construction practices and processes.
- Possess ability to interact and work professionally with all parties.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Proficiency in Sharefile, Dropbox, and various FTP sites to receive RFP’s and other pertinent project information.
- Proficiency in digitizer and/or on-screen take-off software.
- Highly skilled in reading, understanding and accurately interpreting blueprints, specifications and drawings.
- Possess sales and negotiating skills.
- Experience in local jurisdictions, SHA and DOT work a plus.
- Provide and utilize your own vehicle in performance of your job position. Company compensates with auto allowance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work is mainly in the office but involves travel to job sites.
- Work effectively and in conjunction with Asphalt General sales team, management and office staff in all aspects of your job.
- Taking assigned leads or RFI’s, follow company estimating practices to produce accurate and detailed estimates and bid packages.
- Visit job site to confirm or produce site specific information for bidding such as: existing conditions, measurements, scope of work, photo documentation, logistical planning, and other project specific details.
- Review construction documents, specifications and plans to understand scope of work to bid.
- Complete accurate take-offs by utilizing digitizer and/or on-screen computer programs to do take-offs and calculate estimates.
- Attend pre-bid and safety meetings, answer customer questions and resolve issues.
- Obtain pricing quotes for materials and from subcontractors/vendors.
- Prepare and submit RFPs/RFIs, material submittals and job sheets for crews/vendors.
- Schedule meetings with subs, engineers, inspectors and other professionals to obtain and provide accurate project details related to both pricing and scope specifics.
- Prepare project cost summaries.
- Develop value engineering (cost saving) in approaches and materials.
- Write proposals, scopes of work, job sheets and generate change orders.
- Negotiate and close sale.
- Manage all aspects of jobs from close of sale through completion of work.
- Coordinate scheduling of work with office, client, subcontractors/vendors and other parties.
- Maintain and track bid results, follow-up on status of estimates you have submitted.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Competitive Benefits Package:
- Dental, disability, life or term, cancer, etc. insurances available at Employee’s cost.
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
- Auto Allowance
- Profit Sharing
Qualified candidates should send resume & references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
When responding to this job posting please submit your resume, certifications if any, references, and any other information we can use to properly evaluate you for this position. Your submission of this information constitutes your authorization for ASPHALT GENERAL to confirm the truth and authenticity of the information provided.
Salary based upon experience.
Apply for Paving Estimator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly