Heavy Equipment Operator
Reports to 4501 Brookfield Corporate Drive in Chantilly each morning and then may work at any Park Authority site. Operates a variety of gasoline and diesel-powered motorized construction equipment on rough, rocky terrain/dense forest areas. Equipment includes, but not limited to the following: excavator; graders; tractors with bulldozer or angle-dozer blades; front-end loaders; backhoes; tandem dump trucks; lowboy tractor, trailer combination; tractor (35,000 GVWR) trailer (15,000 GVWR) combinations; asphalt machinery; and snow removal equipment. Supervises subordinate staff. Designates appropriate asphalt surface mixes, intermediate and base mixes. Completes first line maintenance and repairs on mobile equipment and vehicles. Completes and submits various reports. A class "A" commercial driver's license (CDL) with tractor trailer and manual transmission endorsements will be required to be considered for this position. Operates backhoes, excavators, motor graders and other heavy construction equipment, performing maintenance and construction projects. Operates asphalt paver, vibratory rollers and other paving equipment in the renovation or installation of asphalt parking lots, roadways and recreation trails. Prepares travel records, work reports and other routine documents. Serves as a lead worker over a crews of 3 to 6 staff; conducts jobsite and tailgate safety trainings. Daily work hours: 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.. May require weekend, holiday and snow removal work.Illustrative Duties
- Operates equipment engaged in complex and routine maintenance and construction projects;
- Interprets construction plans;
- Performs routine operations, to include excavating, gouge cutting, leveling, demolition, stump clearing, sloping, spreading, stripping, and pushing trees and rocks from land preparatory to renovating roads, landscaping and site development;
- Transports heavy construction equipment to designated locations;
- Prepares travel records;
- Performs equipment maintenance, such as changing oil, checking fluids, diagnosing tread wear, replacing batteries and troubleshooting problems;
- May serve as a lead worker over a crew of laborers;
- Monitors construction projects to a successful and timely completion;
- Supervises safety practice and regulation during construction projects;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports and monitors unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
- Thorough knowledge of state traffic laws and regulations;Working knowledge of heavy equipment maintenance;
- Working knowledge of computers;
- Skill in the operation of a variety of heavy construction equipment;
- Ability to read and comprehend maps;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to perform routine equipment maintenance and make minor repairs;
- Ability to safely operate equipment;
- Ability to lead others;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc;
- Ability to comprehend and abide to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with citizens, employees and supervisors;
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to perform tasks requiring manual dexterity.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade, and three years of experience operating motorized construction equipment and/or semi-tractor trailers, as appropriate.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Motor vehicle operator's license.
- Class A Commercial Driver's License with tractor trailer and manual transmission endorsements.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background investigation, a check of the Child Protective Services Registry, a driving record check; a Commercial Driver License Screening and a Pre-Employment Physical to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Two years of experience supervising a crew in a construction related field;
- Two years of experience operating backhoes, skid steer equipment, front-end loaders, graders, rollers, excavators asphalt pavers and dump trucks with trailers;
- Experience performing construction related tasks, such as shooting grades, rough grading, finish grading, asphalt work both patching and new installation, trail maintenance and installation of natural, gravel and asphalt surfaces.
Employee must have ability to lift 50 pounds frequently; work in inclement weather; bend, twist, turn, and stoop; grasp, reach and pull; and be able to walk on uneven terrain. Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.