Information Officer II
The Park Authority is seeking a Public Information Officer II with a focus on social media skills. We are seeking a creative, action-oriented individual to develop and maintain the agency's social media presence, assessing audience and message. Responds to routine media inquiries and establishes media contacts, and supports promotional efforts. Researches, writes, designs and edits a variety of publications, including information releases, newsletters, brochures, infographics, award nominations, invitations, fliers, event programs, fact sheets and reports using desktop publishing, image processing, and graphic design software. Develops and implements communication and action plans for a host of projects, events, and programs. Facilitates community engagement, public meetings, workshops, and charettes; and responds to citizen inquiries concerning agency programs and services. Plans and staffs events such as ribbon cuttings and ground-breakings. Supports and enhances the efforts of the agency's lead PIO and spokesperson. Provides back-up customer service to Park Authority front desk. Works with editors and media representatives to develop new venues for agency information passage. Designs agency publications and maintains mailing lists, updating them regularly; develops PowerPoint presentations and writes speeches, as needed. The PIO must be able to work on evenings and weekends regularly.Illustrative Duties
- Plans special events and edits news releases and publications to inform the public of County services and activities;
- Maintains contact with editors of principal news media covering the County and assists media representatives covering County Government activities;
- Assists agencies in the development of information programs, including news releases and publications;
- Plans photographic coverage and, when necessary, takes and processes photographs to illustrate publications and news releases;
- Supervises subordinate personnel, participates in civic meetings and speaks before groups;
- Conducts audience/constituent research on projects.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public information work and the department and functions of local governments;
- Ability to write and edit material for publication;
- Knowledge of page design software;
- Knowledge of printing and reproduction processes;
- Knowledge of the requirements of print and broadcast media and ability to prepare material for their use (including AP Style);
- Ability to design visual material for publications or displays;
- Knowledge of fundamentals of digital still photography and ability to plan and execute photographic coverage of complex events;
- Ability to supervise subordinate personnel;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public, the press and County employees.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background investigation and a driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Employee must be willing to work on weekends and evenings with regularity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure and multi-task.
- Experience dealing with public officials in this capacity.
- Experience expanding and strategically evaluating a variety of social media platforms.
- Ability to edit documents to AP standards, and excellent understanding and application of grammar and style.
- Knowledge of social media platforms, strategic tactics and use of analytics to design social media campaigns; knowledge of WordPress and competency with Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, Instagram and emerging social media platforms.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:Position is primarily sedentary with walking and lifting less than 50 pounds. Must be able to work indoors and outdoors, and must be able to carry sound equipment and podiums short distances. Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.