Network/Telecom Analyst I
Provides support on maintenance of the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system for both Wastewater Treatment Division and Wastewater Collection Division. Assist supporting problem diagnosis and troubleshooting for wastewater collection pump stations SCADA system running on CoxMetro ethernet; Responds to Wastewater management IT service calls, and support telecommunications equipment. Experience troubleshooting and resolving a variety of network, desktop, server, field device, hand held, and/or remote access issues. Provides desktop, technical support and training to all computer users in Wastewater Management. Monitors the status of computing hardware, software and peripherals using standard techniques and automated tools. Able to utilize low-level logs, consoles, and reports to identify potential problems. Resolves issues using well documented procedures. Escalates complex issues to assigned support staff. Makes arrangements with vendors to schedule hardware service when necessary. Experience in the installation, configuration and management of agency workstation/laptop in a LAN/WAN environment. Excellent communication and interpersonal skill. Subject to 24-hour call back and must, therefore be able to work emergency overtime.Illustrative Duties
- Performs cable routing and termination, equipment installation and configuration, labeling, and documentation;
- Provides routine support for network and/or telecommunications functions;
- Responds to and prioritizes requests from users to provide guidance and assistance;
- Adds/deletes users;
- Proposes, develops, and implements documentation and procedures for determining and/or preventing problems;
- Assists the help desk in problem determination and solution;
- Sets up, installs, and tests hardware and peripherals at user sites;
- Installs network operating system and standard programs;
- Assists in the installation of more complex software and equipment;
- Provides basic one-on-one training to users;
- Maintains system records and documentation;
- Participates in managing network/telecommunication system upgrades, expansions, and equipment exchange;
- Reviews new technology and upgrades and makes recommendations on network/telecommunication system modifications;
- Maintains an inventory list of agency hardware and software;
- Provides assistance to other staff as needed.
- Some knowledge of data and voice communications protocol and industry standards such as internet, intranet, internet security, frame relay, and data network;
- Some knowledge of communications network management and router configuration.
- Some knowledge of hardware and software, cabling, power requirements, ancillary equipment, and the like related to network operations and telecommunications systems;
- Understands the PC in a network environment;
- Understands the network environment and its operation;
- Ability to install system hardware and software;
- Ability to plan, schedule, coordinate, and manage studies, special projects and assignments;
- Ability to evaluate and make recommendations on different applications software packages;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally; and in writing;
- Ability to assist users in solving systems problems;
- Ability to translate technical terminology into terms understandable to management and employees;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to possession of an associate degree in computer science, electrical engineering, electronics, or a related field; plus two years network and/or telecommunications experience; or a bachelor's degree in such fields.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and pre-employment physical to the satisfaction of the employer.
Experience working with electronic controls (PLC programming) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) System. Ability to work on multiple tasks. Experience with Active Directory, ODBC, MS Office 365, Windows 7/8/10, TCP/IP, ethernet, and HW/SW troubleshooting. Excellent interpersonal skills. Possession of a valid driver's license. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and ability to translate technical terminology into terms understandable to management and employees. A good team player.
Good vision and hearing. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.