School Crossing Guards for Fair Oaks
2 days left
- Full Time
Works ten hours a week. Controls traffic to ensure the safe and orderly movement of student pedestrians to and from school. Monitors operation of wink-o-matic school flashing lights during opening and closing times, and reports any malfunctions. Reports hazardous traffic conditions at student crossing locations.
FAIR OAKS: There are 2 crossing location for this school.
Flint Hill Elementary School, 2444 Flint Hill Rd., Vienna, VA 22181
Crossing location: #1 Flint Hill Rd at Vale Rd
Monday - Friday: 8:15am to 8:55am and 3:25pm to 3:55pm
Crossing location: #2 Flint Hill Rd in front of school at crosswalk
Schedule: Monday - Friday: 8:15am to 8:55am and 3:25pm to 3:55pm
This position offers part time hours (10 hours a week) and no benefits when hired for a single crossing location. Please take into consideration the commute during these peak hours when selecting a crossing location. It is recommended applying only to those crossing in close proximity, within 10-15 minutes to your base location.
- Controls traffic at crossing to allow children to cross safely;
- Places school sentinel signs in the roadway at designated points near crossings and removes them before going off duty;
- Maintains discipline over children to ensure conformance with traffic and crossing regulations;
- Reports children who fail to cooperate;
- Instructs children in the safe and correct way to cross streets and in ways to identify a potential traffic hazard;
- Reports accidents, traffic violations and hazardous conditions.
- Knowledge of traffic regulations;
- Skill in use of tact and courtesy;
- Ability and willingness to work in inclement weather;
- Ability to work with children;
- Ability to read and write;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Ability to maintain a high level of ethical standards;
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of integrity and to be truthful at all times.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to: high school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Subject to Child Protective Services Check and Criminal Background Investigation as a condition of hiring and periodically thereafter, as determined by the department head.
Ability and willingness to work in inclement weather. Must have good hearing and good vision. Must be able to stand and walk for periods of time. Must pass a medical screening provided by Fairfax County Occupational Health Center. All duties will be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
Knowledge of traffic regulations.
Ability to work with children.
Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
One should be able to hold a miniature stop sign weighing 2.3 pounds for intermittent periods.
Must possess tact and courtesy.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.