Supervisory Interdisciplinary Scientist
2 days left
- Full Time
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
**This HHS position meets the criteria outlined in OMB M-17-18 and is EXEMPT from the hiring freeze.**
Who May Apply: This vacancy is open to current Food and Drug Administration (FDA) employees with competitive status and CTAP eligibles within the local commuting area. Competitive status refers to employees who are serving on a career or career conditional appointment.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers working in FDA interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred to (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent appointment.
YOU MUST SUBMIT YOUR SF-50, CTAP or Commissioned Corps documentation.
This is a temporary promotion not to exceed 1 year.
This position is being advertised concurrently with FDA-CDRH-17-MP-1908716LL, Supervisory Interdisciplinary Engineer. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position will be filled in one of the following occupational series: GS-401, Biologist; GS-403, Microbiologist; or GS-1320, Chemist.
This position is located in The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), Office of Device Evaluation (ODE), Division of Ophthalmic and Ear, Nose and Throat Devices (DOED), Contact Lenses and Retinal Devices Branch (CLRDB), Silver Spring, MD.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Occasional Travel
- 5% of the time
Basic Requirements for the GS-401 series, Biologist:
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience--Courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Basic Requirements for the GS-403 series, Microbiologist:
Degree: microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
Combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Basic Requirements for the GS-1320 series, Chemist:
Degree: physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.
Combination of education and experience -- course work equivalent to a major as shown above, including at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to the basic qualification requirement, you must also meet the following:
Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-13 in the Federal service, serving as a scientific or engineering reviewer, supervisor or senior advisor in the area of medical device evaluation as relates to the review and evaluation of premarket notification submissions, premarket applications and/or investigational device exemptions for premarket approval prior to entry into the marketplace.
Documenting experience: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing of the announcement.
5. Pre-employment physical required: No
6. Drug testing required: No
7. License required: No
8. Mobility agreement required: No
9. Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
10. Time in Grade (TIG) must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
11. A background investigation may be required.
12. Bargaining Unit Position: No
13. Financial disclosure statement required: No
Q - Sensitive