Learning Resource Center Specialist
Job Category : Student Wage / Non-Student Wage
Working hours :
Salary : $25.00 per hour
Web Announcement :
Learning Resource Center Specialist
The George Mason University Office of the Provost invites qualified individuals to apply for Learning Resource Center Specialist positions under the INTO Mason Academic Division. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
If you are not enrolled as a Mason student, your employment offer will not come from the university. Nonstudents will be employed by the Joint Venture established by Mason with INTO University Partnerships. The other position details (pay rate, schedule) remain the same.
Responsibilities: Organized, reliable and committed individuals are sought to support operations in the Learning Resource Center (LRC), within the Mason Global Center, during open hours (weekdays, 9:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m.). The LRC Specialist will provide ESL tutoring, assist in managing LRC resources, administer/score assessments, and contribute to the development of LRC instructional resources. This position will also support directly admitted international students from across campus who may need English language tutoring. The position requires a minimum of 10 hours throughout the week. This is an immediate opening. Additional responsibilities include:
- Provide English language tutoring in the LRC to multilingual students, with particular focus on speaking pronunciation and writing skills;
- Provide a positive, supportive tutoring environment, and promote tutoring services;
- Track studentsâ€™ progress, prepare client reports, and bring to the LRC Coordinatorâ€™s attention any students of concern;
- Assist with oversight of LRC operations including use--by students, staff and faculty--of computers, printers, library resources, and study areas;
- Assist with administration and scoring of Graduate Teaching Assistant oral assessments;
- As directed, collaborate with LRC staff to offer English language workshops and/or supervised group activities (e.g., conversation groups, pronunciation labs) to English language learners; and
- Contribute to LRC bank of tutoring/teaching reference materials and resources.
- Candidates must have a minimum of a masterâ€™s degree in TESOL/TEFL or a related field, as well as successful language teaching experience (a minimum of three years is strongly desired);
- Demonstrate superior oral and written communication skills in English;
- Be self-motivated, flexible, and able to build rapport with multilingual students;
- Possess strong organizational and planning skills;
- Demonstrate proficiency with computer applications and an ability to use technology to enhance the student experience;
- Exhibit exceptional professionalism and a strong work ethic;
- Function independently and as a member of a team in a constantly changing environment; and
- Be available and accessible for the time commitment involved.
- TESOL background, previous experience working in a higher education setting, and strong intercultural communication skills are preferred; and
- Special consideration will be given to individuals with experience working as a writing center tutor, in an intensive English language program, and/or with international students in higher education.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number WGC699 at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, CV, unofficial (student) transcript of highest degree earned, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :