Damage Prevention Technician
Under supervision of a Senior Damage Prevention Technician, coordinates Fairfax Water’s response and tracking of Virginia 811 (MISS Utility) requests. Performs Fairfax Water’s responsibilities under the Virginia Underground Utility Damage Prevention Act (Act) and the Virginia Administrative Code.
- Coordinates Fairfax Water’s response and tracking of Virginia 811 requests.
- Receives Virginia 811 Code 70 tickets daily and provides required responses to contractors.
- Schedules and attends field meetings at the start of construction activities and as necessary to comply with the Act and protect Fairfax Water assets.
- Assists Fairfax Water’s locating contractor when needed to insure lines are properly located.
- Performs routine field audits and inspections of work in the vicinity of Fairfax Water’s underground assets.
- Provides emergency response support as needed in the event of damage to Fairfax Water’s underground assets.
- Completes documentation associated with the Virginia 811 process.
- Interacts with contractors performing work near Fairfax Water assets.
- Evaluates method and proximity of construction activities to Fairfax Water assets.
- Enforces proper separation between Fairfax Water assets and other utilities.
- Advises contractor’s representative of their responsibilities and required construction methods under the Act to avoid utility damage.
- Documents probable violations of the Act and utility damage incidents and submits to the State Corporation Commission’s Division of Utility and Railroad Safety.
- Collects GPS data for utilities crossing Fairfax Water mains as they are uncovered or constructed and submits for inclusion in the GIS system.
- Assists Fairfax Water’s Planning and Engineering Division with in-house projects and locates.
- Maintains tools, equipment and vehicles as assigned.
- Monitors the work of multiple crews at multiple sites.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from high school, and a minimum of 2 years progressively responsible experience in the installation, operation, or maintenance of water systems and related facilities or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Good knowledge of direct bury and trenchless installation methods of utility construction.
- Knowledge of the Virginia Professional Excavator’s Manual.
- Knowledge of VA811 (MISS Utility Call Center) processes and practices
- Knowledge of applicable safety regulations, safety equipment, and the implementation of safety practices.
- Good knowledge of computers, Microsoft Word, and Excel.
- Must be able to read, interpret, and work from engineering drawings and specifications.
- Must be able to locate underground water mains.
- Ability to collect GPS locations and utility asset attribute data.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to communicate tactfully, courteously, and effectively to establish and maintain proper working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, contractors, and the public.
- Ability to keep records and make reports.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Ability to work from any Fairfax Water facility and at any location in the water distribution system.
- Ability to work overtime at any location, hour and day of the week.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment. This position is subject to random testing after hire.
- Ability to perform physical tasks in all climatic conditions.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds