Principal Satellite Engineer
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 16151.Satellite Operations
Location: Long Beach, CA
Travel %: Less than 10%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 5 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience not considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
This position has responsibility for Boeing 702 spacecraft systems engineering for the satellites operated out of the Intelsat's Long beach Satellite Operation Center (LSOC) and Tyson Satellite Operation Center (ESOC). Responsible for all engineering aspects of long-term operations for a large fleet of Boeing 702 communications spacecraft.
**THIS POSITION REQUIRES ITAR ACCESS - Applicants must be U.S. Citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or U.S. Aslyees**
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering discipline with at least five years of professional experience -- specific knowledge and experience in Satellite Engineering/Operations preferred.
- Must be able to work autonomously and perform self-directed research.
- Good communication skills required, including the ability to express ideas clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Must have advanced knowledge of spacecraft subsystems such as ACS, power, propulsion, T&C and thermal, with experience in on-orbit satellite communications systems and spacecraft operations ground control systems.
- Computer experience is required to operate various satellite operations ground systems
- Knowledge of one or more of the Boeing spacecraft designs and operations preferred.
- Knowledge of Epoch ground system is a plus.
- Intermediate Excel programming skills, including macro development experience, desired. High level capability a plus.
- Python, Unix, Matlab, Visual basic and Microsoft Access programming skills a plus.
- Responsible for all bus engineering aspects of long-term operations for a large fleet of Boeing 702 communications satellites to maximize revenue generation.
- Define, develop and execute command plans per manufacturer's documentation and recommendations (automated scripts)
- Maintain alarm limits to ensure rapid identification of changes in spacecraft configuration and performance.
- Implement regular spacecraft telemetry and trend review to promptly identify spacecraft performance changes.
- Play key role in the development and maintenance of spacecraft automated procedure sets. Involves the creation of new procedures, testing procedures on the satellite simulator, supporting execution on the spacecraft and developing performance enhancements.
- Perform or lead highly complex analysis to monitor the health of systems and subsystems throughout the satellites life cycle. Identify, investigate, and resolve highly complex system and subsystem deviations and anomalies. Provide effective Interface with manufacturer to resolve operational issues.
- Participate in 24x7 on-call support rotation. Carry cell phone and maintain rapid access to remote computer for operations support.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.