Director of Finance
The Government Accountability Project (GAP) was created in 1977 at the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) in response to several whistleblowers, such as Daniel Ellsberg, who came to IPS about White House, FBI and Pentagon scandals. Since that time, GAP has served as a lifeline to employees of conscience and has helped them release critical information that serves the public interest and the common good. GAP is the nation’s leading whistleblower protection and advocacy organization. A non-partisan public-interest group, GAP litigates whistleblower cases, helps expose wrongdoing to the public, and actively promotes government and corporate accountability. Since its founding, GAP has helped over 7,000 whistleblowers. As a 501(c)(3) non-profit, GAP defends whistleblowers in the court of law and the court of public opinion, while crafting and refining whistleblower protection laws through legislative channels at home and abroad.
GAP is seeking a dynamic Director of Finance. The successful candidate will be a team player and provide leadership and support to all staff in the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, and human resources. The Director of Finance will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team comprised of the ED/CEO, Chief of Staff and General Counsel in strategic decision making and operations as the Government Accountability Project celebrates its 40th anniversary and continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and administration leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact, four-decade-old organization. The Director of Finance and Administration will report to the Executive Director & CEO (ED/CEO).
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments as needed and requested by the ED/CEO and/or Chief of Staff, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the Finance Committee of the GAP Board of Directors.
- In coordination with the ED/CEO and Chief of Staff, oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and budgets once approved by the ED/CEO; monitor progress and apprise the ED/CEO and/or Chief of Staff as needed; and regularly keep the senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting in terms of daily, monthly, quarterly and annual reports, or as otherwise requested by the ED/CEO and/or Chief of Staff.
- Maintain and as necessary implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that staff paychecks are accurately processed, the contract billing and collection schedule is regularly adhered to and that financial data and cash flow support operational requirements.
- Work with the Administrative Assistant/Receptionist to maintain all banking files, vendor files, and payroll reports.
- Update and implement all necessary accounting practices as needed and/or in accordance with best practices; continuously seek to improve the Finance department’s overall policy and procedure in accordance with best practices.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the ED/CEO, Chief of Staff and GAP Board of directors as needed.
- Further develop and ensure the optimal performance of GAP’s Human Resources service, and provide staff-wide education on all compensation and benefits packages.
- In coordination with the Chief of Staff, establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- In coordination with the Chief of Staff, ensure that onboarding/hiring processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Coordinate with the Chief of Staff and Administrative Assistant/Receptionist to ensure efficient and consistent office operations.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration from an accredited four-year university, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree.
- At least seven to ten years of overall professional experience; ideally at least seven-plus years of specific financial and operations management experience in the non-profit sector.
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to -- and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- A proven track record in grants management and the development of precise financial metrics.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors.
- Knowledge of accounting and reporting software; experience in QuickBooks preferred, proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Team player and reliable.
- A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the public interest mission of the Government Accountability Project.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Director of Finance” to: Michael Termini at email@example.com
Apply for Director of Finance
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly