Research Surgical Technician - San Antonio, Texas
- Conduct and support surgical procedure, operating room maintenance, animal disease prevention and health surveillance, appropriate animal housing, record keeping, insuring specific pathogen free techniques.
- Act as the primary surgeon for small animal surgeries.
- Daily handling and restraint of various small and large animal species.
- Maintain traffic patterns, sterile equipment, pest control, quality assurance procedures and record keeping.
- Assist in preparation of purchase requests for animal procurement and coordination of shipping procedures.
- Assist in preparation of purchase requests and assist with maintenance of inventory of supplies.
- Coordinate animal research work activities between contractor Research Scientist, animal care staff, and research laboratory technicians.
- Set up, operate, modify and maintain laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Provide additional functionality incidental to research activities.
Highly Desired Skills:
- Experience doing small animal surgeries-mice, rats
- Experienced and comfortable doing basic surgical techniques such as cannulation, blood draws, suturing
- Comfortable handling small animals
- Experienced and knowledgeable in aseptic technique and sterile procedures associated with animal surgeries.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in basic laboratory techniques such as pipetting, performing and calculating dilutions, concentrations.
Associates Degree in a scientific or technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, professional training, or work experience.
3-5 years of related scientific experience.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.