The SEED Foundation (www.seedfoundation.com) was created in 1997 to establish college-preparatory urban boarding schools that prepare children both academically and socially, for success in college and beyond. In 1998, the Foundation opened The SEED Public Charter School of Washington, D.C. - the nation’s first urban public college preparatory boarding school. The school currently serves 325 students in grade 6-12. In 2015, 100% of SEED’s seniors were accepted to a four year college or universities.
All SEED students live on campus from Sunday evening through Friday afternoon when they return home for the weekend. The dormitories are organized into small “houses” of 10-12 students per life skills counselor for afternoon and evening routines such as study hall, house meetings, and social activities. We provide a safe and caring 24 hour boarding experience. Our relationship with parents and guardians is essential to the success of their child while at SEED.
We are currently seeking a Librarian to coordinate and continue to develop an emerging school library that supports our literacy methodologies and culture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Collaborate in a strong team environment to:
- Learn and support the efforts of our middle school Readers Workshop initiative
- Create and sustain policies and procedures for a fully functioning library that supports a standards-based middle school and rigorous college preparatory upper school
- Select, catalogue and process new materials (online and text, classroom library and general library materials)
- Establish programs and services including open library hours, class visits and special programs and events that meet the academic and boarding needs of the students
- Communicate library skills/knowledge, resources, and curriculum materials in an interesting, stimulating, and effective manner to students and staff
- Collaborate with fellow teachers on planning and delivering instruction, professional development, and curriculum design to contribute to the continuous improvement of instruction and development of information literacy at the school
- Provide for an engaging and visually stimulating library learning environment
- Attend department meetings with our English department
- Design and plan for community literacy events
- Identify special needs of students and seek additional help, as needed
- Formulate a yearly budget
- Maintain and submit necessary records and reports
- Train, coordinate and supervise student and community volunteers
- Participate in faculty meetings, workshops, staff development programs, and other school sponsored activities
- Participate in summer programming including direct service to incoming and returning SEED youth and curriculum work with colleagues
- Assist in general building supervision and discipline of students outside of the classroom
- Adhere to the professional and ethical standards as outlined in the SEED PCS Staff Manual
- School and/or urban youth experience
- MLS or related coursework/experience.
- Literacy and developmental reading experience highly desired
If you are interested in joining The SEED Public Charter School of Washington, D.C., we would like to hear from you. Click APPLY to be considered, you must forward a complete package consisting of the following:
1. Letter of Interest
3. Salary History
The SEED Public Charter School of Washington, D.C. is committed to the letter and spirit of equality. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in hiring and employment, nor in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship, and other programs.
Apply for Librarian
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly