Commercial Chief Engineer
Commercial Chief Engineer
The Chief Building Engineer provides professional, courteous and cost efficient maintenance for the property. This position has some supervisor responsibilities.
- Be familiar with all building systems and components (fire alarm, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC mechanical systems) within the Sterling/Reston portfolio.
- Identify, recommend, and implement preventative and on-going changes to preserve or upgrade equipment; determine materials, supplies, machinery, equipment or tools to be utilized
- Assist with the evaluation of operational standards of building maintenance including staffing and contract maintenance.
- Assist with the hiring and training of new building personnel.
- Supervise, discipline and appraise the performance of the building engineering staff in addition to porter staff; recommend promotions or other changes in employment status
- Assist onsite staff with maintenance tasks or duties as required
- Handle employee complaints and grievances
- Maintain OSHA fire and safety standards for employees and all areas of the facility and grounds
- Handle tenant service requests within the timetable prescribed by the Manager
- Implement and manage the company’s Preventive Maintenance Program
- Assist Manager in controlling maintenance expenditures through the solicitation of bids and selection of vendors.
- Assist with the coordination and review of subcontractor work that may be required
- Maintain shop, mechanical rooms, storage areas, etc. in a clean, neat and organized way
- Promptly report to Manager any conditions requiring maintenance or cleaning that you observe
- Establish on call duty rotation schedule for staff to handle after hours emergencies. Limited after hours work is expected.
- Excellent attendance and certain physical demands (e.g. lifting up to 50 lbs.) are required to perform the essential functions of this position
* Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, as described above.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient with Microsoft Outlook E-mail
- Great customer service skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to accept responsibility and accountability for his/her actions
- Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly
- Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task
- Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect safety
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-entity environment
- Ability to multi-task and follow through
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to communicate effectively with others
- Ability to actively listen to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others
- Ability to work effectively as a team contributor on applicable assignments
- Ability to respond to others’ needs in a timely and courteous manner
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma
- Seven years of previous well-rounded Commercial maintenance experience
- Valid drivers’ license
- Associate’s degree (two year college or technical school)
- CFC Certification (universal)
Company Conformance Statements
In performing their respective duties, all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines
- Interact professionally with other employees, management, tenants, vendors and others
- Maintain a neat, clean and professional appearance
- Work independently while understanding the need for communicating and coordinating work efforts with others
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Stand C (Constantly)
Walk C (Constantly)
Sit O (Occasionally)
Handling / Fingering C (Constantly)
Reach Outward C (Constantly)
Reach Above Shoulder C (Constantly)
Climb C (Constantly)
Crawl C (Constantly)
Squat or Kneel C (Constantly)
Bend C (Constantly)
10 lbs or less C (Constantly)
11-20 lbs C (Constantly)
21-50 lbs C (Constantly)
51-100 lbs O (Occasionally)
Over 100 lbs O (Occasionally)
12 lbs or less C (Constantly)
13-25 lbs C (Constantly)
26-40 lbs O (Occasionally)
41-100 lbs O (Occasionally)
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally) Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for the successful performance of this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Bernstein Management Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.