Writer and Editor
The purpose of this position is to edit feature and scientific articles for a trade magazine serving a diverse professional audience and to write feature articles, news bits and research briefs, cover the audiology news beat, and proofread as assigned. The incumbent must be able to handle multiple deadlines and work comfortably and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Edit feature articles on clinical and scientific topics, written by association members and freelance writers, for broadest accessibility to professionals in the distinct but related fields of speech-language pathology and audiology.
- Research and write feature and news articles on health care and education topics related to speech-language pathology, audiology, and speech, language, and hearing sciences.
- Coordinate assigned sections of The Leader and cover audiology news beat.
- Attend audiology conferences and provide coverage on presentations and events.
- Write newsletter blurbs, and, in collaboration with others on the editorial team, copyedit and proofread editorial content, adhering to Associated Press style.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- BA/BS in Journalism, English, Mass Communication, or related field
- 2–4 years' experience in journalism and scientific writing and editing
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated ability in writing and editing scientific content for an educated professional audience
- Ability to write clear, engaging news and feature articles
- Strong proofreading and copy editing skills
- Knowledge of speech-language pathology, audiology, or related discipline preferred
- Ability to write and edit for online publications, create and link to online multimedia content, and work in a social media environment preferred
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
EOE/minorities, women, persons with disabilities, veterans with disabilities and Vietnam veterans are encouraged to apply.