Senior Buyer-Goods & Non-Technology Services
Senior Buyer - Goods and Non-Technology Services
Office of Procurement
Exempt, Regular, 100% Full-Time, Pay Grade 3.1
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Senior Buyer - Goods and Non-Technology Services in the Office of Procurement. Reporting to the Director of Goods and Non-Technology Services, the Senior Buyer - Goods and Non-Technology Services will be responsible for procurements from original requirement or business problem to procurement negotiation of basic contracts for products and services. Contracting and buying activities accomplished by the Senior Buyer include interfacing with departmental procurement liaisons, assessing client's needs, researching contracting vehicles to meet the needs, drafting and evaluating solicitations and Request(s)-for-Proposals (RFPs), verifying vendor quoted pricing against contract terms, drafting contract amendments, processing requisitions and preparing Purchase Orders and PO Change Orders in the PeopleSoft Finance, Purchasing and EProcurement modules.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Drafting specifications and vendor qualification criteria for bids and requests-for-proposals upon researching the end-user's needs to ensure proper procurement, maximized competition, and alignment with proper procurement regulations, policies and procedures.
- Evaluating bid and proposal responses to solicitations, at times, working with evaluation committees. Recommend awardee and process approvals needed from external parties. Debrief unsuccessful vendors.
- Reviewing requisitions submitted by departments on a daily basis for processing. If needed, research existing cooperative agreements. Reviewing all requisition attachments for processing and/or follow-up. Process Purchase Orders and Change Orders daily in the PeopleSoft Finance system (Purchasing and eProcurement modules) in a timely manner to meet departmental procurement needs.
- Assisting in resolving requisition issues that may impact timely PO processing for assigned departments. Assist vendors and departments with PO inquiries, directing invoice payment issues to and interfacing with UMUC Accounts Payable staff for successful resolution.
- Researching underlying contracts for UMUC purchases, including price validation. Review submitted price quotes against contractual terms and conditions.
- Drafting contract and contract amendments as may be needed for Statements of Work, pricing updates, Change Orders, contract extension, term renewals, etc.
- Supporting procurements as may be needed under the direction of management in soliciting multiple proposals and price quotes, analyzing pricing submissions and evaluating the vendor for selection and contract award.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning and five (5) to seven (7) years of related experience is required. Analytical skills in researching contract terms and conditions and experience in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel are required. The ability to multi-task and problem solve is necessary along with effective written and verbal skills. The ideal candidate will have strong customer service skills as well as be professional, innovative and detailed.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Candidates should have an understanding of established statutes, procurement policies and regulations. Experience using PeopleSoft Financial Management Solutions and/or the Workday Financial Management system is a plus.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.