Assistant General Manager (Park/Recreation Assistant)
Assists in the operation of a 9-hole executive golf course and its associated facilities, which include an 18-hole miniature golf course, tennis and basketball courts. Directs the operation of the pro shop and food and beverage centers. Directs all special events and tournaments at the site. Directs the hiring, training and evaluation of all part time clubhouse employees. Assists in the marketing efforts of the site with the cooperation of site and agency staff. Conducts routine inventories of all non-sale and resale items in the golf course pro shop and food and beverage center. Completes purchase requests and procurement card purchases for non-sale and resale goods for the park's operations. Implements and maintains the site's customer service program.
Appointee will be expected to work a flexible schedule that may include overtime and weekends. Under the Supervision of the General Manager
- Assists in the administration of the facility operations such as conducting inventory, preparing administrative and financial reports, and assisting in the preparation of the annual operating budget;
- Assists in the ordering and receiving of supplies;
- Assists with the recruitment, hiring, training, supervision, scheduling, and evaluation of staff and volunteers;
- Adheres to revenue and expense limits;
- Ensures staff compliance with operating procedures and safety/security standards;
- Informs the public of pertinent rules and regulations;
- Assists with providing operational support by supervising the maintenance of assigned facilities.
- Assists with providing Parks/Recreation programming support by developing and coordinating several specialized programs and special events;
- Maintains records necessary to the operation and evaluation of programs.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of recreation center and/or park management;
- Knowledge of fiscal record keeping and inventory procedures;
- Ability to use a personal computer, applicable software, and peripheral equipment;
- Ability to direct and coordinate the work of subordinate staff and volunteers;
- Ability to prepare a variety of administrative reports;
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with staff, citizen groups, and the public;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following: graduation from high school or a GED issued by a state department of education, plus two years of related experience in a recreation center, recreational park, or golf course operation or two years experience organizing and coordinating public recreation activities or community affairs, as applicable to the position.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- First Aid and CPR certification, within 90 days of appointment.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background investigation and a driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- At least three years of experience working in a golf course clubhouse operation.
- Demonstrated experience with supervising employees and volunteers.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience with various aspects of tournaments and special events, including the direction of food and beverage offerings to large groups of people.
- Experience utilizing marketing tools and promoting various golf course programs.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.