Industrial Electrician II
1 day left
- Full Time
Designs, installs, maintains and repairs complex industrial electrical equipment and systems in wastewater pump stations. Works in the field, diagnosing and resolving complex electrical problems on a wide variety of rotating, moving and heavy equipment including high voltage distribution centers, motor controllers, pump, generators, presses, lighting systems and underground cable. Troubleshoots, repairs and installs variable frequency drives (VCD's). Performs diagnostic work up to the programmable logic controllers (PLC) and the digital control systems (DCS) lode. Performs predictive and preventive maintenance in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations on electrical equipment. Creates work orders, requisitions equipment and parts. Performs work in safe manner according to all regulations; participates in safety training and reports unsafe conditions. Subject to 24 hour call back and must, therefore, be able to work emergency overtime.Illustrative Duties
- Troubleshoots high voltage industrial equipment, control and power system failures to determine the cause and corrective action required;
- Installs, maintains, and repairs electrical systems and equipment up to 5000 volts and 4000 amps;
- Makes necessary repairs and replacements, and tests effectiveness of corrective action;
- Troubleshoots, repairs and/or installs main switchboards, main and branch circuit breakers, disconnects and wiring devices such as switches, convenience receptacles and dedicated receptacles, possibly without the aid of a blueprint or schematic because of equipment age;
- Performs predictive and preventive maintenance in accordance with manufacturer recommendations on electrical equipment;
- Creates work orders, requisitioning of equipment, parts, documentation, and time and attendance approvals on computers;
- Troubleshoots, repairs, and installs Variable Frequency Drives;
- Performs routine start-up and testing of emergency generators;
- May oversee work of Industrial Electrician I;
- Performs work in a safe manner according to all regulations, participates in safety training, and reports unsafe conditions.
- Thorough knowledge of the standards, practices and equipment of the electrical trade;
- Thorough knowledge of applicable county, state and national electrical, NFPA and safety codes;
- Ability to read and interpret diagrams, schematics, blueprints and manuals;
- Knowledge of PCs, SCADA systems and SCADA diagnostic measures;
- Knowledge of safety regulations and procedures as well as common hazards associated with working with electricity.
Any combination of education, training, and experience equivalent to the following: graduation
from high school, or a GED issued by a state department of education or equivalent; successful completion of an approved electrician's apprentice program and four years of experience as an industrial electrician.
Experience using computers; previous work experience in an industrial setting. Successful completion of an approved electrician's apprentice program.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:With or without reasonable accommodation. Ability to lift 50-75 pounds in a safe and correct manner. Ability to work outside in harsh environments such as extreme heat and cold. Ability to work from elevated areas and in confined spaces. Must be able to bend, stoop and stand for prolonged periods of time.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Must have and maintain a valid Motor Vehicle Driver's License.
Must have and maintain a valid Commonwealth of Virginia Journeyman Electrician's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a driving record check and a pre-employment physical examination to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Subject to 24-hour call back and must, therefore, be able to work emergency overtime.
- Subject to working in adverse weather conditions and may be exposed to raw waste.
- This position is designated as one of the agency's emergency personnel positions, which are essential to providing uninterrupted wastewater service to citizens during inclement weather or other types of operational emergencies.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.