Principal Deputy General Counsel
We are committed to:
- Teamwork: Partnering at all levels and across organizational boundaries for mission accomplishment.
- Integrity: Adherence to the highest legal and ethical principles in our responsibilities.
- Excellence: Unrivaled defense intelligence expertise.
- Service: Putting the welfare of the Nation and commitment to our mission before oneself.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: Applicants will be assessed against qualifications which fall into three areas: Intelligence Community Senior Officer Core Qualifications (ICSOCQ), Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and Technical Qualifications. To view the duties, qualifications, and complete application instructions visit www.dia.mil/careers for complete application instructions.
EXECUTIVE QUALIFICATIONS: You will be assessed against the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs).They are designed to assess executive experience and potential - not technical expertise. They measure whether you have the broad executive skills needed in a variety of senior executive positions. Failure to meet a qualification requirement will disqualify an applicant. (Each must be addressed separately in your Supplemental Narrative Statement. One page maximum per ECQ.)
(Note: Current career Senior Intelligence Service (SIS), Senior Foreign Service (SFS), Senior National Intelligence Service (SNIS) and Senior Executive Service (SES) or Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service (DISES) members, former SES or DISES members who are reinstatement-eligible and graduates of OPM-certified Candidate Development Programs are not required to address the ECQs, but must address the Essential Factors in the Technical Qualifications.)
1) Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
a. Creativity and Innovation: Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches; encourages new ideas and innovations; designs and implements new or cutting edge programs/processes.
b. External Awareness: Understands and keeps up-to-date on local, national, and international policies and trends that affect the organization and shape stakeholders' views; is aware of the organization's impact on the external environment.
c. Flexibility: Is open to change and new information; rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
d. Resilience: Deals effectively with pressure; remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks.
e. Strategic Thinking: Formulates objectives and priorities, and implements plans consistent with the long-term interests of the organization in a global environment. Capitalizes on opportunities and manages risks.
f. Vision: Takes a long-term view and builds a shared vision with others; acts as a catalyst for organizational change. Influences others to translate vision into action.
2) Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent in this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
a. Conflict Management: Encourages creative tension and differences of opinions.
Anticipates and takes steps to prevent counter-productive confrontations. Manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive manner.
b. Leveraging Diversity: Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the organization.
c. Developing Others: Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods.
d. Team Building: Inspires and fosters team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. Facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
3) Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent in the ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high- quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Leadership Competencies:
a. Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for measurable, high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established control systems and rules.
b. Customer Service: Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement.
c. Decisiveness: Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when
data are limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
d. Entrepreneurship: Positions the organization for future success by identifying new opportunities; builds the organization by developing or improving products or services. Takes calculated risks to accomplish organizational objectives.
e. Problem Solving: Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
f. Technical Credibility: Understands and appropriately applies principles, procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies related to specialized expertise.
4) Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
a. Financial Management: Understands the organization's financial processes. Prepares, justifies, and administers the program budget. Oversees procurement and contracting to achieve desired results. Monitors expenditures and uses cost-benefit thinking to set priorities.
b. Human Capital Management: Builds and manages workforce based on organizational goals, budget considerations, and staffing needs. Ensures that employees are appropriately recruited, selected, appraised, and rewarded; takes action to address performance problems. Manages a multi-sector workforce and a variety of work situations.
c. Technology Management: Keeps up-to-date on technological developments. Makes effective use of technology to achieve results. Ensures access to and security of technology systems.
5) Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, state and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Leadership Competencies:
a. Partnering: Develops networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals.
b. Oral Communication: Making clear and convincing oral presentations. Listening effectively; clarifying information as needed.
c. Integrity/Honesty: Behaving in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Showing consistency in words and actions. Modeling high standards of ethics.
d. Written Communication: Writing in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
e. Continual Learning: Assessing and recognizing personal strengths and weaknesses; pursuing self-development.
f. Public Service Motivation: Showing a commitment to serve the public. Ensuring that actions meet public needs; aligning organizational objectives and practices with public interests.
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS: (Each must be addressed separately in your Supplementary Narrative Statement.)
1. Graduation from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association with a J.D. and an active member in good standing of a Bar of one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. Territory or Commonwealth.
All applicants must be U.S. citizens and are subject to a thorough background inquiry.