Motor Vehicle Operator
Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service, as we prepare for a second century of stewardship and engagement. Become a part of our mission to connect with our past and create important connections to the future by building a rich and lasting legacy for the next generation of park visitors, supporters, and advocates.
This position is located in the Division of Maintenance at the George Washington Memorial Parkway in Arlington, VA.
The George Washington Memorial Parkway (GWMP) preserves the natural scenery along the Potomac River. It connects the historic sites from Mount Vernon, where Washington lived, past the nation's capital, which he founded, and to the Great Falls of the Potomac where the President demonstrated his skill as an engineer. Developed as a memorial to George Washington, the Parkway may be used on any day to travel to exciting historical, natural, and recreational areas.
The purpose of this position is to operate one or more motor vehicles, which have an approximate gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds and up to 32,000 pounds. These vehicles meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle and the incumbent is required to have a commercial driver's license.
This position is being announced at the full performance level.
Position is considered to be Emergency Essential. May need to work weekends and/or holidays. Work schedule may also be changed with limited notice to 12-hour shifts during emergency situations.
This appointment is not to exceed 1040 hours in a twelve month period, although position may be terminated sooner or extended depending on management needs. This position is covered under a rehire authority. At management's discretion, the incumbent may retain non-competitive rehire/extension eligibility to the same position, in the same location, with the same title and grade as long as 1040 hours are not exceeded in a service year.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Moderate physical effort is needed by this position in operating, turning, backing, and controlling vehicles which carry heavy loads or a large number of people. Required to frequently lift items weighing over 50 pounds. Considerable physical effort may be required to change tires and make limited emergency repairs, such as installing an emergency fan belt or replacing an electrical fuse on open highways.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Incumbent is required to work outside and is exposed to extreme hot and cold temperatures. Operates vehicles in all types of traffic ad weather on public roads and is exposed to danger of serious accidents.
- Occasional Travel
- Travel may be required to attend meetings and training.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following by the closing date of the vacancy announcement: Friday, April 21, 2017
SCREEN OUT FACTOR: Ability to do the work of a Motor Vehicle Operator, without more than normal supervision.
This is the ability to perform the full range of Motor Vehicle Operator duties, your resume must reflect that you have the skills or experience that demonstrates the ability to perform work as a motor vehicle operator, WG-5703-07, and assist journey-level, or other higher graded workers; experience may include work such as operating gasoline or diesel-powered heavy equipment, the use of motor vehicles up to two ton capacity to transport material to and from the work site; operating one or more motor vehicles to include, platform trucks, van trucks, stake trucks, dump trucks, specialty pumping equipment, and trash removal trucks. Perform these duties with only general supervision subject to occasional inspection. Able to troubleshoot and take initiative to solve problems and accomplish work assignments in a safe manner.
Applicants who do not meet the SCREEN OUT ELEMENT will not be given further consideration.
Resume must reflect the responses to the online questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, etc.) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious, spiritus); community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translate directly to paid employment. You may receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Appointment will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation. Under the requirements of the Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12), all new Federal Employees must pass a background investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- To be eligible for appointment to this position, the new hire must be cleared to come on board once the results of the fingerprint check, review of the OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and the candidate's Electronic Questionnaires for Investigations Processing (eQIP) entries have been reviewed and determined to be satisfactory. A credit check may be required for this position if any financial issues arise during the background investigation process.
- New employees of the Department of the Interior must identify a financial institution for direct deposit of net pay within 30 days of entrance on duty.
- NPS uniformed position. Employee will be required to wear a uniform and comply with National Park Service uniform standards.
- Applicants must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license or District of Columbia Class B Commercial Driver's License or higher.
- This is a drug tested position.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Incumbent will be required to work outdoors, often under adverse conditions.
- Position is considered to be Emergency Essential. May need to work weekends and/or holidays. Work schedule may also be changed with limited notice to 12-hour shifts during emergency situations
Q - Nonsensitive