Heavy Mobile Equipment Mechanic
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
This position is located on Joint Base Fort Myer-Henderson Hall (JBM-HH), Arlington, VA in the Operations and Maintenance Division of the Directorate of Public Works. Fort Myer is a 15 minute walking distance from the Arlington National Cemetery Metro Station or a 10-15 minute walking distance from the Rosslyn, Virginia Metro Station and accessible by bus transportation. The installation is approximately 3-4 miles from Washington D.C., and a short distance from major roadways and express highways.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
- Not Required
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Screen Out Element: You must be able to do the work of a Heavy Mobile Equipment Repairer, WG-5803-08, without more than normal supervision. In order to meet the screen out element, applicants should document their ability to do the following: repairing, removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing a variety of parts, components, and accessories on heavy mobile equipment (i.e. scoop loaders, road graders, street sweeper, and dump trucks); using hand tools (i.e. wrenches, pliers, brake tools, screwdrivers) to repair starting switches, injector pumps, sensors, brakes, and hydraulic systems; repairing generators (i.e., fuel, electrical, hydraulic, and diagnostic testing); interpreting manuals and diagrams.
Specifically, you will be evaluated against the following job elements:
- Knowledge of Mechanical Equipment, Theory, and Instruments
- Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc
- Ability to read and Interpret Circuit Diagrams, Schematics, and other Technical Documents
- Ability to Use and Maintain Tools for Mechanical Work
Physical effort: Work requires frequent standing, stooping, bending and working in uncomfortable positions. Frequently lifts items weighing up to 20 pounds and occasionally lifts and/or carries items up to 50 pounds.
Working Conditions: Most assignments are performed inside in drafty and noisy areas on hard surfaces and where exhaust fumes are present. Frequent expose to dampness and drafts is present and incumbent is subject to possible cuts, bruises and burns while working on equipment.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Position requires a personnel security investigation.
- Position requires a pre-employment physical evaluation.
- Position requires a valid state or District of Columbia drivers license.
- Position requires an annual medical surveillance exam.
- Position may require work on Saturday and/or Sunday, is subject to shift rotation and emergency 24-hour recall.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and mandatory random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 (Condition of Employment for certain Civilian positions identified as Critical under the Department of Army Drug Abused Testing Program) requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- Position is designated as Inclement Weather and Mission Essential. The incumbent must make every attempt to report for work on time and/or remain on duty during severe weather conditions.
- Position requires a valid Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with appropriate endorsements to operate vehicles.