Smithsonian Enterprises is seeking an experienced Floor Supervisor to assist the Area Manager with the operation of the business unit(s) to maximize the visitor experience by ensuring SE resources are dedicated to providing excellent products, services and experiences.
- Leads team of retail associates in absence of Area Manager to ensure sales goals are met, assignments are completed in a timely and accurate manner, and schedules are followed.
- Participates in the training of new retail associates and provides guidance and information as necessary.
- Resolves visitor complaints and special needs situations, referring those of a more complex nature to higher-level management.
- Assists Area Manager to ensure merchandise presentation standards are maintained. Ensures proper inventory control procedures are followed, and assists with Physical Inventory.
- Conducts daily staff meetings in the absence of Area Manager to motivate employees and exchange information.
- Assists in opening and closing business unit location, as well as cash control operations.
- Operates and maintains business unit computer systems (POS cash registers, ticketing systems), maintains supplies, and reports any technical issues.
- Monitors sales, refunds and exchanges. Conducts returns, exchanges, voids and other ancillary cash handling functions.
- Supports museum events and activities involving the business unit (book signings, DMRs, etc.).
- Performs basic cleaning, ensures appropriate stock levels on the sales floor, and maintains appropriate signage.
- Bachelor's degree (BS) or equivalent; or 1 to 3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Retail or similar industry experience required.
- Cash management experience. Merchandising, inventory control, and loss prevention experience.
- Solid track record of modeling superior customer service.
- Experience with high volume crowd control.
- Keen attention to detail, with solid communication skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, and travel between business units as needed (evening, weekend, and holiday availability required).
- Ability to read and interpret Smithsonian Institution and SE Museum Store policies and procedures, and understand standard retail concepts and practices.
- Ability to accept written and oral instructions from the Management Team.
Salary: Up to mid $30K range. Commensurate with experience.
Excellent Benefit programs including Health, Life, and Dental/Vision Insurance, Transit/Commuter Benefits, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Annual and Sick Leave, Family Friendly Leave, Tax Deferred Savings Plan with Employer Contribution, Smithsonian Discounts, Flexible Spending Account (Health & Dependent Care)
Relocation expenses are not paid.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter, including current salary, to SERetailJobs@si.edu. (Please include vacancy number "SE-17-0131" in the subject line).
Application materials received without salary information will not be considered.
No phone calls, please.
Final candidate selection will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a pre-employment background check and subsequent background investigation. Employees are required to participate in Direct Deposit for salary payment and to serve a one year probationary period.
The Smithsonian Institution is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a workforce comprising a variety of educational, cultural and experiential backgrounds support and enhance our daily work life and contribute to the richness of our exhibitions and programs.
This is not a Federal Service position. Candidates must be U.S. employment eligible.
Smithsonian Enterprises is a division of the Smithsonian Institution, the world’s largest museum and research organization. Established in 1846 with a bequest from English Scientist James Smithson, the Institution currently encompasses 19 museums and galleries, the National Zoo and 9 research centers. The Smithsonian has facilities in 7 states, the District of Columbia and the Republic of Panama supporting over 6,200 employees. Smithsonian Enterprises encompasses Smithsonian Media Group, Retail Group, and the Consumer Education and Licensing Group.
Smithsonian Enterprises (SE) was formed in 1999 by the Smithsonian Institution's Board of Regents to consolidate and bring professional management to the commercial activities of the Institution. SE partners with a variety of internal constituents including Museum Directors, the Secretary of the Smithsonian and other administrative functions (legal, tax, government relations, central planning finance functions, etc) to deliver profitable products and services that further the Smithsonian's mission.
Smithsonian Enterprises operates Media and content businesses through a variety of distribution platforms including print & online magazine publications & books as well as the Smithsonian Channel, including cable television programming in high definition; Retail experiences including museum & airport stores, IMAX theaters, online and print catalog sales in addition to overseeing food & beverage and simulator concessionaires; educational adult and student travel experiences; and consumer product licensing.
Apply for Floor Supervisor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly