Maintenance Electrician I
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Performs skilled work at the Journeyman level in the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment and systems. Some assignments involve exposure to disagreeable elements and to lost time accidents and injury hazards. This position is considered essential and is required to follow essential employee guidelines.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Repairs defective switches, outlets, and light fixtures.
2. Performs design, layout and time estimate for in-house electrical projects.
3. Inspects and repairs faulty wiring.
4. Installs electrical conduit, control switches and lighting fixtures.
5. Adjusts, repairs, and maintains motor control centers, electric motors, and 277-480 switch gear work.
6. Tests faulty electrical equipment using standard instruments such as volt, ohm meter amprobe, megga meter, and related test/repair devices.
7. Assigns, instructs, and inspects work of helpers and trainees as directed by authorized supervisor.
8. Practices safe work habits involving self and other employees.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· High School Diploma or Equivalent Certificate. Appropriate vocational training and skills preferred.
· Three (3) years of experience in the electrician trade.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Ability to work flexible hours/evening shift or any scheduled overtime.
· Ability to respond to emergencies outside normal business hours and holidays as needed.
· Possession of basic hand tools required.
· Ability to work in uncomfortable environments (warm/cold) or inclement weather conditions.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse populations.
· Ability to employ business technology tools are required of all AACPS employees, e.g. e-mail, obtaining relevant AACPS employee information through the AACPS intranet, employing the electronic benefits enrollment tool and any other electronic tools implemented in the future.
· Satisfactory score on any tests required.
· Certificate for Completion of Apprenticeship.
· Possess a valid Maryland Class (C) license and have daily access to a vehicle. Proof of good driving record required.
Career Ladder Requirements
Eligibility for Consideration for Advancement from Grade 9 to Grade 10 requires:
· Two years of experience at the Grade 9 level.
· Mastery of Security and Fire Alarm Systems. i.e. Ademco Vista and Silent Knight.
· Evidence of completion of additional training that may be recommended by supervisor and/or participation in approved professional development programs or courses, approved in advance by the supervisor.
· Consistent maintenance of an effective and orderly work environment.
· Consistent compliance with general office procedures such as standards contained in the AACPS Employee Handbook; demonstration of discretion and excellent customer service; regular and punctual attendance; and building dress code, including wearing AACPS ID badge.
· Exceeds standards overall job performance for two most recent consecutive
· Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of eighty (80) pounds.
· Must be able to climb a 40 ft. vertical ladder and work from scaffolding.
· Ability to perform extensive walking, bending, stooping, crawling and kneeling in the course of completing daily work assignments.
· The employee is required to use safety devices and protective equipment in order to minimize the frequency and severity of work-related accidents. Adheres to safe practices and methods in the operation of equipment and supplies related to his/her particular job.
· The employee is responsible for correcting and/or reporting any conditions within an AACPS building or grounds that may be hazardous to employees and students.