Scientific Editor (873-679)
6 days left
- Full Time
This is a non-supervisory, deadline-driven position responsible for performing various high-impact editorial functions for the publication of USP documents and sections of publications for content, style, grammar, syntax, referencing and readability. The incumbent in this role will collaborate with science experts, as needed, to ensure quality, clarity, and consistency of work and will participate in team meetings to ensure the timely completion of work. The incumbent promotes the overall success of the organization by producing high quality products on schedule that meet the needs of the users.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Edits and proofreads scientific materials across various USP publications and is responsible for improving and maintaining high quality USP documentary standards.
- Copyedits content so that it is well-written and complies with USP style. Ensures that grammar, syntax, and spelling are correct and prepares documents for transfer to production.
- Serves as a scientific and publications subject matter expert for assigned publication content.
- Displays critical-thinking using their knowledge and expertise when reviewing scientific content and collaborates with science experts as needed to ensure accuracy of scientific data.
- Demonstrates sound decision-making while preparing high-impact scientific documents by identifying errata or other errors that effect end-users outside of USP.
- Reviews and updates documentation to ensure alignment with current publication processes.
- Maintains pace with ongoing product and style changes through ongoing training and participation in team meetings.
- Leads presentations on publications and scientific topics, as needed.
- Takes ownership of projects related to publications or for the improvement of processes, quality and style.
- Contributes to final product reviews and quality control checks, such as proofreading paginated output, checking version continuity, proofreading indexes, and reviewing online content for quality and functionality.
- Performs other duties as required/assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a life science or an equivalent combination of training and experience required.
- At least 2 years in editing of scientific, technical, or medical materials.
- Experience in book and/or journal editing in print and electronic formats
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and application of an in-house style guide.
- Experience working with electronic work tracking and workflow procedures.
- Knowledge and/or use of
- Demonstrated computer skills in a PC environment, along with proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, Adobe Acrobat Professional, and an HTML or
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical and scientific research concepts and understanding of scientific data analysis.
- Thrives in a results-oriented, deadline-driven environment.
- Keen eye for detail.
- Efficient written and oral communication skills, including developing and delivering presentations when needed.
- Has the ability to
- navigate multi-layered publications systems and processes.
- effectively multi-task.
- work and research problems independently when appropriate, and yet understand when to escalate issues.
- establish effective working relationships in a team setting with active participation.
- engage in training/mentoring with senior staff.
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular