Security Guard (Tuesday-Saturday 2:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m.) - Bowie, MD)
Under close supervision, performs security function as assigned by Shift Supervisor. Regulates and controls personnel movement into the building, patrols the building grounds, investigates unusual events and submits reports. This position is often required to work overtime hours or hours outside of a regularly scheduled shift.
- Reference - Maintains knowledge of and familiarity with the Standard Practice and Procedures for SCI Manual and the CCS Security Force Manual of Policies and Procedures.
- Personnel Movement:
- Regulates personnel entry into building and adjacent areas. Deals with visitors, and staff professionally and with courtesy.
- Checks personnel identification badges. Ensures visitors are authorized for entry into facility and confirms identification.
- Maintains log of visitors and operates the special personnel accountability system.
- Specific Duties
- Understands special instructions/orders at the various posts within and outside of the facility. Remains at post until relieved or re-directed by supervisor.
- Patrols assigned area, being alert to violations of security regulations, unauthorized persons and safety hazards. Verifies safety features such as locks, alarms and lights are functioning and operational.
- Responds to alarms, meeting time and physical requirements. Takes prompt action to correct violations, creates complete, accurate and factual incident reports.
- Deals with individuals involved in unusual/suspicious situations firmly but courteously, works toward resolution of problem involving management when necessary.
- Understands use of video monitors, carefully watching for any unusual activity on the grounds or vicinity.
- Knows the process of activation/deactivation of the alarm systems (SMTs) and monitoring UL alarm control station.
- Implements emergency procedures as situations dictate or as directed.
- Secures classified packages after office hours.
- Secures alarm access and classified combinations to secure areas.
- Knows building, office and grounds layout for most direct route to destination.
- Performs escort duty upon direction of Superiors. Stays alert to actions and activities of person(s) under escort. Reports unusual behavior.
- Conducts shredding of classified and sensitive information as required.
- Keeps informed and current with regulations and new procedures concerning the Security Force operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Two or more years of directly-related security guard experience.
- Specialized training in security or investigation is a plus.
- Physically able to respond to alarms and emergencies in accordance with time and physical regulations developed by NSA/CCS on SCI Facilities without using mechanical devices as aids. Requirements may include:
- Meeting timing requirements,
- Standing for long periods of time, having corrected vision of 20/20, having no hearing impairments, and
- Working outdoors in all types of weather.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work overtime hours or hours outside of a regular schedule.
- Ability to obtain and maintain appropriate TS/SCI with full-scope polygraph security clearance; ACTIVE TS/SCI full-scope polygraph, preferred.