TEACHERS (Grades 6-12, ALL SUBJECTS, 2017/18 SY)
Change in the community starts with us!
Chavez Schools is hiring for the 2017-2018 school year.
Founded in 1998, Chavez Schools educates approximately 1400 students in grades 6-12 across four campuses in Washington DC. The mission of Chavez Schools is to prepare scholars to succeed in competitive colleges and to empower them to use public policy to create a more just, free and equal world. Unique to our model is our public policy curriculum that focuses on real-world public policy experiences that foster critical thinking and strong advocacy skills.
“A word as to the education of the heart…it can only be imparted through the loving touch of a teacher.” Cesar Chavez
Chavez Schools is looking for highly effective and dedicated educators who are passionate about student achievement. We need hardworking, team-oriented and experienced teachers for 6th through 12th grade. .
ABOUT THE POSITION
A Chavez Schools teacher is responsible for the following:
- Collaborating with colleagues to plan highly effective, Common Core –aligned curriculum and instructional materials
- Preparing standards-based lesson plans that engage students in critical thinking and integrate the public policy modules of Chavez
- Assessing student growth utilizing a variety of student assessments both formal and informal.
- Tracking student data to inform, differentiate and drive instruction according to students’ individual needs.
- Creating a positive learning environment and classroom culture that fosters relationships between students and staff.
- Communicating with students, parents, and school staff to ensure that students are on-track in learning
- Bachelor’s degree (Required)
- At least two years of teaching experience in a public school (Preferred)
- Experience teaching in an urban environment (Preferred)
- Chavez Schools requires all teachers to be “Highly Qualified”, which includes a Bachelor’s degree and passing the appropriate Praxis exam(s)
- Commitment to working with students from underserved communities (Required)
- Bachelor’s degree in the subject/content area (Preferred)
Position Type: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Chavez Schools offers an extremely competitive salary and benefits package, (web link to benefits package)
APPLY AT CHAVEZSCHOOLS.ORG