Animal Care Technician
Join The Winning Team…Team SoBran - We are an industry leader in designing professional animal care programs, managing animal facilities, and providing high quality technical support for laboratory animal research projects. At SoBran, we care about people. SoBran's success hinges on our employees. We maintain a professional environment and ensure that our people have the tools and training to achieve; and opportunities for learning and advancement. Our employees' individual talents contribute to our success! We thank you for your interest in SoBran.
We are currently seeking an Animal Care Technician II to serve at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland (LARC 11).
OVERVIEW: Responsibilities of this position are that of a Laboratory Animal Caretaker II for the NIH, Animal Care Project These responsibilities include all activities required for the proper care and maintenance of on-site animals. This person is expected to be familiar with the day-to-day activities, personnel and issues within the facilities. We expect the Laboratory Animal Caretaker II to be forward thinking and create/assist in developing plans to enhance the learning abilities and performance of the staff working on this contract. The Laboratory Animal Caretaker II will assist the Program Management in the efficient allocation of the budget and develop and maintain an effective relationship with the Government staff.
Primary duties may include the following:
- Understand and follows all SOP’s and Quality Assurance Standards
- Perform daily animal health checks and reports any abnormal animal conditions to the veterinary technician and /or floor supervisor
- Dispose of deceased animals following standard SOP’s and policies
- Change animal caging, to include feed and water, according to SOP’s and/or specific approved protocols and the schedule established by the floor supervisor
- Sex and wean animals according the SOP’s
- Maintain daily animal census sheets, room equipment and status form sheets, and other forms requested by the floor supervisor
- Clean and sanitizes animal facility and assigned rooms according to SOP’s
- Maintain and repairs animal caging and support equipment
- Receive, examine, transfer, identify and properly house incoming animal shipments according to SOP’s
- Assist with the restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as requested by the investigators
- Assist in ANY contract related activity as assigned by the floor supervisor or to complete daily assignments
- Assumes a position as a team leader which includes helping to prepare the floor, solve everyday problems with minimal supervision, assisting other caretakers as well as the supervisory staff and maintaining an air of professionalism at all times
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 50 lbs; bend, stoop, climb and stand for a prolonged period
- Routinely safely handles and disposes of hazardous (biohazardous, radiological, or chemical) materials
- Correctly collects swabs to monitor room sanitation
- Perform any other duties as assigned
Schedule: Work hours are from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm M-F. Weekend work is required as scheduled. The weekend hours are from 7:00 am-11:00 am.
- A High School Diploma or equivalent. College Degree preferred
- Certification: Employees must hold a current AALAS certification at the ALAT level
Required Experience: Some previous caretaking experience preferred
SoBran, is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.