Scientist I - Naval Medical Research Unit
GDIT is seeking a Scientist I to support the following research project at the Naval Medical Research Unit in San Antonio Texas.
Extending the “Golden Hour”: Prolonged Pre-Hospital Survival and Stabilization of Hemorrhagic Shock that Permits Delayed Whole Blood Resuscitation and Subsequent Survival in Swine (Sus scrofa domesticus)
This project will evaluate a novel resuscitation fluid adjunct for improvements in survival, metabolic, coagulation, inflammatory, and organ injury outcomes in a large animal model of hemorrhagic shock and prolonged field care hypotensive resuscitation with subsequent simulated hospital care including whole blood transfusion. The study entails simple surgical procedures, extensive monitoring, blood sample and tissue specimen collection for analyses utilizing a variety of molecular techniques and ana lyzers, and data acquisition, organization, and presentation.
Under supervision of the PI:
* Develop and conduct hypothesis-driven scientific research addressing various aspects of military medicine, including, but not limited to: hemorrhage and resuscitation, immunomodulation, biomedical systems, and bioassay development.
* Provide support in writing protocol-driven research proposal, animal use protocol, human use protocols, technical report, final reports, and peer-reviewed manuscripts.
* Evaluate data sets (provided by the government and collected by the contractor).
* Develop presentation materials, Standard Operating Procedures, and present findings at technical and professional meetings.
* Prepare experimental subjects, set-up experimental equipment, and aid in training and development of experimental subjects for experimental procedures in accordance with approved animal or human use protocols.
* Provide support in development of establishment of in vivo and in vitro model systems, data acquisition, and data analysis.
* Serve as an advisor resource person for other team members.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Experience serving as Principal Investigator and/or team leader. Ability to assume responsibility for and have knowledge of all phases of the research process, including problem definition, planning, budget formulation execution, and analysis, interpretation, and reporting of findings
* Excellent interpersonal / communication skills and ability to work in a multi-disciplinary setting with a team of scientists and the ability to clearly convey scientific information and data to peers and flag level officers.
* Experience presenting and writing peer-reviewed scientific articles. Knowledge of preparation and presentation of scientific articles including formatting, writing, and graphic presentations
* Knowledge of human and animal anatomy and physiology
* Experience with in vivo animal models and comfortable handling animals and performing basic surgical procedures to generate animal models
* Basic molecular biology techniques (e.g. protein/RNA/DNA isolation/extraction, ELISA, SDS and agarose gel electrophoresis, Western blotting, and real-time RT-PCR)
* Experience with and/or ability to quickly learn operation of various analyzers, instruments, and data acquisition modalities (e.g. blood/plasma sample analyzers, ultrasound imaging devices, etc.)
* Ability to make and record detailed observations and troubleshoot technical procedures
* Ability to perform basic statistics and mathematical calculations, to including but not limited to power analysis and ANOVA
* Experience in using MSWord, MSPowerPoint, MSExcel spreadsheets, and graphing software such as GraphPad Prism or SigmaPlot
* Must be able to work a flexible work schedule which may occasionally include evening or weekend shifts
* Employee must be able to lift/move up to 20 pounds
PhD in physiology, animal science, biology, biomedical engineering, molecular biology, or a related discipline.
PhD with 5+ years laboratory experience working with animals.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.