Conventions & Meetings Intern
The Optical Society a prestigious non-profit, scientific professional society in Dupont Circle is seeking a college-level intern for their Conventions & Meetings Department. This position will assist the OSA Meetings Department staff with the Society’s meeting(s) preparation and execution.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assists with drafting and distributing housing emails to authors and attendees not in hotel block.
- Proofs attendee communications such as the What to Know Before You Go messages.
Event Marketing & Promotion
- Drafts copy for meeting websites and microsites.
- Assists with developing slides for session walk-in/out presentations.
General Logistics Support
- Provides general assistance for on-site pre-con meetings.
- Assist in the preparation of poster session logistics – numbers, pins, etc.
- Creates content capture log for tracking session recording on-site.
- Produce session count sheets.
- Prepares pre-con staff packets according to Meetings Team’s requirements.
- Assists in production of award certificates.
- Produces signage inserts.
- Proofs meeting signage.
- Coordinates packing and shipping of conference materials.
- Creates and distributes shipping labels.
- Works with Meetings Team to maintain staff housing list.
- Coordinates with Meetings Team to create VIP housing list.
- Assists Registration Manager with all general registration processes as needed/assigned.
- Assists in the content development of registration confirmation letters.
- Coordinates the issuing visa letter to include collecting contact information, creating form letters and mailing or faxing.
- Supports registration manager in maintaining inventory of registration meeting supplies.
- Assists in assembling attendee materials, e.g. producing badges and any associated info cards and organizing registration materials for on-site distribution.
- Trains and understands the organization’s registration system.
- Provides backup with key registration tasks such as responding to event inquiries, testing of registration sites.
- Assists with preparing RFPs.
- Compiles incoming proposals for review.
- Assist in finalizing arrangements with various meeting vendors (decorator, audiovisual, hotel, supplies).
Other Job Functions
- Performs various administrative duties including but not limited to: Preparation of, proofing and editing correspondence; coordinating mailings; responding to routine questions and requests for information.
- Special projects as assigned.
- May assist in on-site execution of local events.
- Experience with Microsoft Office 2010.
- High degree of professionalism.
- Strong organizing skills.
- High level of attention to detail and seeing projects through to their completion.
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team.
- Good research and writing skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to learn new technologies and processes quickly.
Summer 2017, part-time (15 -20 hours per week). Stipend/hourly rate of $15.00 per hour. Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.