Senior Oracle Database Administrator - PeopleSoft Administrator - Operations Unit
7 days left
- Full Time
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) provides information technology and service solutions to staff, study volunteers, and Academy members allowing the National Academies to deliver the most efficient and the highest-quality products to external customers.
Designs, develops, and implements complex enterprise databases and database applications to accommodate a wide variety of user needs. Leads the specification development and database design process. Creates and maintains database dictionaries, security, and integrity controls. Establishes and ensures standard policies and procedures are followed. Integrates systems through client/server database design.
As a top level expert in database technologies, performs work requiring advanced knowledge to design and develop complex databases and applications, often involving multiple phases and significant collaboration. Applies in-depth technical knowledge to independently and innovatively solve a full range of complex and sometimes unusual problems that impact organizational success. Brings industry-level expertise to function, and recommends changes to remain up-to-date or competitive. Establishes processes and procedures to ensure the effective and efficient operation of a complex function. Acts as a technical project leader.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Leads the administration and maintenance of PeopleSoft and Oracle database systems. Handles installations, upgrades, backups, and configuration.
2. Designs, develops, and implements complex databases and database applications to accommodate a wide variety of user needs with respect to access methods, access time, validation checks, organization, security, documentation, and statistical methods.
3. Provides support for PeopleSoft and to various units with customized databases or overarching database infrastructures. Establishes PeopleSoft system specifications. Confers with users. Analyzes workflow, access, information, and security requirements. Designs system infrastructure. Establishes the PeopleSoft system.
4. Plans and executes the selection, installation, configuration and testing of server hardware, software, LAN and WAN networks connectivity, and operating and system management systems.
5. Defines system and operational policies and procedures. Maintains PeopleSoft system performance. Performs system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning. Troubleshoots system hardware, software, networks and operating and system management systems. Designs and runs system load/stress testing. Escalates application problems to a vendor. Secures the PeopleSoft system. Develops system access, monitoring, control, and evaluation. Establishes and tests disaster recovery policies and procedures. Ensures proper database security guidelines followed.
6. Completes RMAN backups and restores. Maintains documentation. Upgrades system. Confers with vendors and services. Develops, tests, evaluates and installs enhancements and new software. Meets financial requirements by submitting information for budgets. Monitors expenses e.g. support, new hardware, etc.
7. Acts as a technical leader in PeopleSoft system and Oracle database management. May have quality assurance review responsibilities. Keeps up with changing technology. Studies new tools and provides advice and recommendations on new or changing technologies.
8. Maintains an appropriate standard of confidentiality. When handling secure, privileged, sensitive, or confidential information and matters, maintains strict confidence and exercises care to prevent disclosure to others. Accesses confidential information for work-related reasons only, following the policies and procedures of the organization. Ensures that any privileged, sensitive, or confidential information is securely stored, disposed of, and transmitted according to the institutional guidance.
** PeopleSoft and/or Oracle database certification encouraged. **
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
In-depth knowledge of Rational Database Management Systems (RDBMS), i.e. Oracle, Informix, Mysql, Postgres, and similar databases and database middleware. Knowledge of administration and development environments under multi-platforms. Ability to solve intellectual problems of substantial variety and complexity using originality and ingenuity. Ability to serve as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems. Ability to use substantial latitude for independent judgment and action. Ability to lead a project team. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to successfully work in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.