Principal Revenue Accounting Analyst
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 13018.Shared Accounting Services
Location: McLean, VA
Travel %: None
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 5 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience not considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
Responsible for analyzing revenue and Accounts Receivable (AR) and generating reports related to monthly, quarterly and year-end close. Maintain the straight-lining schedule as well as deferred revenue schedules in accordance with GAAP and perform account reconciliations and adjusting entries on a monthly basis. Assist in the setup of processes and procedures that properly capture, track and report revenue and AR, in accordance with the company revenue recognition policy and the forthcoming ASC 606 standards. Coordinate SOX functions across the department.
You must have the following knowledge, skills and abilities to be considered for the role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- At least five (5) years of experience in revenue recognition, accounts receivable and revenue analysis.
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles of the United States (GAAP) and of the accounting implications of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and advanced skill in MS Excel.
- Experience with accounting systems—specific experience with Oracle accounting systems highly preferred.
- Ability to multitask, strong organization and Project Management skills.
- Excellent organization skills, including the ability to consistently meet monthly and quarterly deadlines for important reports and tasks.
- Effective communicator, both written and spoken with strongly developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability and desire to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to exercise sound judgment, professionalism and maturity in dealing with and seeking creative solutions to problems.
- Manually track deferred revenue, straight-lining of revenue and revenue shares, recording the appropriate entries on a monthly basis.
- Coordinate with Technical Accounting to verify revenue recognition treatment of non-standard items.
- Assist with the process for the adoption of new accounting standards, as they relate to straight-lining and deferred revenue treatment.
- Generate reports on revenue and AR actuals, as needed for the monthly, quarterly and year-end close.
- Generate revenue accounting entries, performing account reconciliations and adjusting entries each month.
- Provide accurate revenue and AR reports for internal and external audit requests.
- Produce quarterly and year-end audit schedules for revenue and AR.
- Research Revenue Recognition concerns and provide basic guidance to involved parties.
- Develop new ways to eliminate manual processes surrounding accurate recording of revenue.
- Prepare various revenue analyses as requested.
- Participate in projects with IT and other organizations on revenue recognition matters.
- Assist with the monitoring of SOX controls across the department and provide input regarding updates to current SOX controls.
- Support system processes & revenue recognition procedures.
- Assist with reconciliations & GL postings.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of Oracle Financials.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.