Intern - Project Management & Design
- Student will develop a working knowledge of educational facility management, the construction process, budgeting and finance, and project management.
- Student will cultivate written and oral communication skills.
- Student will gain documented work experience for their resume.
- ACPS will provide the student with an opportunity to integrate classroom study with a learning experience in a work environment while gaining assistance with technical and administrative tasks.
Interns are required to work a minimum of 25 hours per week during the summer, but no more than 40 hours per week. Tentative internship start date: ASAP through August 1, 2017. Specific timing and schedule to be negotiated.
- Education: Minimum of 2 years of undergraduate classes in public administration, planning, architecture, engineering or construction/facilities. Any combination of the above or in a related field will be accepted.
- Key Competencies:
- Ability to independently complete tasks.
- Basic understanding of the construction process, construction and project terminology, budgeting and financing, project management, and ability to read architectural/construction drawings.
- Ability to clearly and concisely convey project relevant information orally and written.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Autocad or Revit a plus.
- Provide technical and administrative support to the staff of the Alexandria City Public School Educational Facilities Department.
- Tasks may include public relations, construction site visits, management of hard copy documents, transfer and management of online documents, archiving manuals, and converting archived data into electronic files.