Strategic Sourcing Specialist (Procurement) (866-679)
The Strategic Sourcing Specialist is a key member of USP’s Procurement organization, charged with driving compelling results and value to USP through strategic procurement activities. This role shall serve as a strategic individual contributor to the overall mission and vision of the Procurement team.
The Strategic Sourcing Specialist’s primary responsibility entails executing strategic sourcing projects and category strategies. The Strategic Sourcing Specialist will also be responsible for adhering to project plans and conducting negotiations with suppliers. In executing these responsibilities, the Procurement Specialist shall help USP meet strategic goals related to growth, cost savings, and risk management.
This role will work directly with the supply community and be a liaison between the suppliers and the business during competitive sourcing processes. The Strategic Sourcing Specialist will be responsible for delivering strong results that support the category strategy and provide significant value to the business units. This position will work cross-functionally with other individuals across USP to drive close collaboration.
To accomplish this, the Strategic Sourcing Specialist must have strategic procurement and sourcing expertise as well as a solid understanding of the business and strong organizational skills.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Conducts spend analytics; uses data to influence change with clients and builds strong ROI cases
- Performs market research; Conduct external research to analyze market opportunities, risks, trends, etc., associated with assigned categories; model, monitor, and report trends in underlying cost drivers
- Develops category expertise to fully understand supply market, appropriate sourcing strategies, and typical savings levers for a category of spend
- Executes sourcing events, with some direction as needed; Create bid package and coordinate the bid (RFI, RFQ, RFP) process including, pre-bid/proposal meetings, walk-throughs, bid openings, bid tabulation and bid reviews in an ethical way that reflects USP’s Core Values
- Conducts total cost modeling and scenario analysis to help stakeholders understand trade-offs and benefits to various outcomes
- Helps identify targets and leverage to support negotiations efforts
- Adheres to sourcing project plans. Proactively communicates with business units with respect to timelines and project duration.
- Helps develop and capture intellectual capital such as RFP templates, analyses, case studies, etc.
- Helps develop relationships with business unit stakeholders and build credibility of Procurement team
- Tracks project status and project results (e.g. savings, duration, supplier selection, etc.)
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in Procurement, Business, Operations, Supply Chain, Finance, or Consulting.
- Demonstrated experience in strategically supporting data-driven cross-functional efforts and managing communications with diverse set of stakeholders.
- Capable of coordinating across business units and sharing critical information, with particular strength in explaining complex concepts and coaching individuals through complex decision-making
- Purchasing experience in Pharmaceutical or Biotech industry
- Possesses relevant category/technical knowledge, as applicable
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Understanding and application of sourcing policies, procedures, and supply strategies is desirable
- Professionalism and good judgment
- Solid organizational skills
- Effective oral and written communications and presentation skills
- Desire and ability to work well with diverse employees and customers in a cooperative and friendly manner. Exceptional customer service disposition
- Capable of managing deadlines and balancing multiple prioritie.
- Comfortable with organizational change. Able to thrive in a rapidly changing business environment
- Comfortable professionally challenging conventional thinking and existing processes.
- Creative problem solving
- Must be proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite (word processing, email, spreadsheet, database, and Internet)
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular