Intern, Social Impacts of Marine Protected Areas (Science 2017)
Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) or marine parks are increasing used to conserve marine biodiversity and foster sustainable development around the world. Nonetheless, there is considerable uncertainty with regard to the impacts of MPAs on adjacent coastal communities. To advance scientific understanding of the social impacts of MPAs, this research will document the impacts of MPAs on coastal populations in the U.S. and around the world. This research will utilize large spatial datasets from different geographic regions to examine changes in social and economic conditions over time.
The Social Science team at CI seeks a self-motivated intern to support a component of this project with geographic focus on the Caribbean and Pacific islands. Project output will include spatial database, maps, graphs, statistical analyses, and a PowerPoint presentation.
- Compile high resolution, longitudinal data for US and non-US territories in the Caribbean and Pacific, specifically from censuses and economic surveys
- Produce a summary of the temporal and spatial consistency of the data relevant to longitudinal data analysis
- Compile the data into a spatial database with the relevant meta-data
- Produce graphs summarizing the data and conduct basic statistical analyses
- Produce a report, research paper, and/or a PowerPoint Presentation summarizing the work
- The internship is based at Conservation International headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Graduate training in geography, economics, sociology, natural resource management/conservation, or related field. Preference will be given to candidates who will use the research as part of a graduate thesis
- Experience with data management, preferably spatial data
- Familiarity with ArcGIS or similar geospatial software
- Strong quantitative research skills
- Experience working with census data
- Experience with spatial database management
- Interest in or familiarity with biodiversity conservation or sustainable development
To apply, please include resume and cover letter.