Acquisitions Editor/Strategic Content Developer
We are seeking an Acquisitions Editor / Strategic Content Developer to work on our key primary research journals. We are looking for an individual with a background in biomedical research, scientific publishing, and who possess excellent analytical and communication skills to work on a variety of key Society initiatives. The successful candidate will have demonstrated skills in data and statistical analysis, a keen interest in utilizing and expanding the suite of publishing metrics, and will work closely with Society staff and the research community to drive the development of important scientific publications. This is a superb opportunity for a highly motivated and creative individual to play a critical role in the research community.
As the Science Editor / Strategic Content Developer you will be a member of a cross-functional team of product/publication managers, data analysts, and content strategists. Your expertise will enable us to collaborate across departments to identify, leverage, and create connections in content across all Society programs and print/digital properties. You will be responsible to stay abreast of advances in scientific research and clinical applications in endocrinology and related fields, to acquire and develop high-impact scientific content from highly-cited authors for the Society’s journals, publications, and digital properties.
You will be vital to establish and cultivate close contacts with the scientific community in academia and industry; work directly with authors and editors for the creation and delivery of content. We will rely on you to initiate and execute innovations in scientific publishing and communication, such as new paper concepts, metrics for readership impact, social media, and discovery / citation tools.
What you'll bring to the job:
- Graduate degree in the life sciences required, PhD preferred
- 1-to-3 years’ experience in scientific writing, editing, journal publishing
- Customer-focused, member-focused, attentive, a good listener
- Results driven; ability to produce work under tight timelines
- An appreciation for the business model and demands of a large nonprofit membership association with a broad array of commercially-valuable products in the biomedical space
- Excellent interactive, team-working skills, and a drive to collaborate across multiple internal departments; ability to connect with a broad range of people as well as to work independently
- Flexible, analytical, and proactive; ability to think and write critically and creatively about a wide range of scientific issues and see connections and synergies that can be developed
- Excellent written and verbal English communications
- Experience of authoring and the journal peer review process
- Measures of success: Increased publications; publish greater share of high-impact papers; improved feedback from authors and editors
- Editorial expansion/innovation in related fields
- Demonstrates Endocrine Society’s core competencies
We believe in and empower our staff. We know that with our investment in their growth, they have an even greater potential to contribute to our organization. Our core values embody the character and culture of our staff – they guide our decision making, interactions and how we serve our members. As an organization, we are committed to: demonstrating responsible stewardship, treating one another with trust and mutual respect, supporting work life balance, sustaining an inclusive environment, and fostering an environment that encompasses communication, service, collaboration, results & innovation.
What you'll own:
- Build and cultivate a network of editors and authors, in academia and industry
- Leverage existing content in Society journals, publications, and digital properties to create new as well as derivative content
- Solicit journal content in new and emerging fields; manage Calls for Papers campaigns; use the Society’s Annual Meetings and other scientific meetings as opportunities to acquire new content and new submissions to Society journals
- Write and edit content for scientific audiences
- Identify and supply weekly precis articles from Society journals that are of interest to the broader basic science / clinical community and supply “ready” materials for inclusion in communications channels to members
- Serve on the Editorial Advisory Committee for the Society’s member magazine, Endocrine News
- Serve on the Society’s staff Content Team to support strategic content development across the Society’s departments and platforms
- Write science pieces, commentary, or opinion pieces for Endocrine News magazine, as needed
- Support and contribute content to Society social media activities
What you'll get out of it:
- Working with a staff that has passion for our mission, believes in one another and has fun.
- The chance to work in an environment that empowers staff to take informed risks and create new programs and services.
- A chance to contribute in a fun job with room to make it your own.
- A strong and competitive salary and benefits package that focuses on your well-being and financial health.
Endocrine Society offers a convenient downtown DC location within walking distance of Farragut North/Farragut West and Foggy Bottom Metro stations. Qualified candidates interested in a purposeful work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits, including a generous TIAA- CREF retirement plan with 10% employer contribution should submit resume, cover letter and a writing sample.
This is a full time position based in Washington, DC (Endocrine Society headquarters). At this time we are not considering a remote working arrangement.
When applying to this position, you will be redirected to an application management system via ADP. New users will need to register for an account before proceeding to the application.