Senior Principal Engineer, Systems & Tools
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 17125.Innovation & Service Architecture
Location: McLean, VA
Travel %: Less than 10%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 10 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
This senior professional engineer experienced in digital and radio frequency (RF) Satellite Communications will play a lead role in designing Intelsat's Next Generation satellite transmission systems and tools. By collaborating directly with Intelsat commercial teams, this person will participate in the product development lifecycle to include ideation, detailed requirements analysis, design recommendations, validation, and hand off to Engineering and Operational teams for low level engineering, deployment and support.
You must have the following knowledge, skills and abilities to be considered for the role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering with at least ten years of experience in satellite communications (an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of the stated minimum education and experience requirements i.e. Advanced Degree and eight (8) years of experience).
- Strong analytical skills with experience in the analytical modeling of digital and RF satellite communication links including channel coding & modulation techniques.
- Expertise in the overall aspects of satellite communication systems, communication satellite payloads, propagation effects, physical layer transmission techniques, modem and codec.
- Solid knowledge in satellite payload architectures, satellite communication services and the ability to conduct detailed complex link analyses and design tradeoffs.
- Experience with Satellite Communication Engineering and applications.
- Excellent Computer skills and ability to work with Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent command of the English language both written & oral.
- Ability to multi-task and make time critical decisions.
The following additional knowledge, skills and abilities are considered a plus:
- Experience in simulation & modeling tools such as MATLAB is a plus.
- Perform satellite transmission engineering analytical studies involving end-to-end link parameters, ground segments, channel coding & modulation, payload performance and propagation effects on link budgets.
- Work closely with Information Systems (IS) to flow down the transmission engineering models and algorithms requirements of Next Generation satellites and services.
- Interface with IS and provide analytical algorithms/application level regression testing during the transmission model implementation phase including defining the Conop test cases.
- Interface with IS to define GUI requirements and transmission engineering parameters to access models and algorithms for existing and future services.
- Develop analytical models for satellite payload units such as amplifiers and filters, predict performance of those units, and generate requirements for unit and subsystem performance specifications.
- Perform system tradeoffs for advanced digital payload architectures (processed and non-processed), assess design performance parameters for various subsystems and conduct specialized analysis to assess system impairments that impact payload performance.
- Conduct specialized studies for complex satellite configurations (inclined orbit operation, spacecraft collocation scenarios, etc.) including adjacent satellite interference and other system impairments that impact service performance.
- Enhance the transmission engineering tools by implementing new transmission techniques and enhanced modulation/coding schemes to support new emerging services and applications.
- Develop and establish operational guidelines for various satellite communication services and applications including optimizing beam/channel loading.
- Develop advanced satellite engineering capabilities in support of ongoing programs
- Work closely with IS and relevant stakeholders develop requirements and testing strategies, test plans and Conop test cases.
- Perform tasks and contribute to deliverables as directed by Business Lead.
- Conduct meetings with relevant stakeholders to discuss project status, decisions & details, and gathers user input and priorities.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.