The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision-makers in government, international institutions, the private sector, and civil society. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of more than 300 employees working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Engineering and Provisioning
• Engineering of solutions for various project and operational needs at CSIS such as email, printing and file storage needs.
• Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
• Contribute to and maintain system standards at CSIS.
• Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
2. Operations and Support
• Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as file servers’ backups.
• Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
• Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
• Provide Tier III/other support per request from various team and staff members. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
• Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted staff members.
• Managing the daily Help Desk operations and support services.
• Managing and training staff, scheduling work assignments and conducting educations.
• Evaluating and managing technical support systems hardware and software and making recommendations regarding upgrades or changes.
3. Server and end user infrastructure maintenance
• Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
• Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
• Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
• Perform installation, maintenance and support of system software/hardware and end user support.
• Troubleshoot and maintain wireless network infrastructure including upgrades to meet certain business requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• B.A./B.S. required.
• Advanced Degree in related field MIS, Business/Public Administration, or Related Certificates (PMP, MSCA, etc.) preferred and can substitute for required experience.
• Minimum 5 years related experience in information technology, including 2 years of management.
• Ability to work closely with a range of individuals with diverse interests, backgrounds, and dispositions.
• Must possess strong communication skills including the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from constituency groups, media, governmental entities, and the general public.
• Attention to detail and ability to manage competing priorities.
• Must possess strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.