Chief Building Engineer (861-679)
The Chief Building Engineer oversees maintenance for all building systems related to HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and structural. They are responsible for responding to any and all anomalies 24/7 related to building systems for all buildings owned or operated by USP where the landlord does not have this responsibility as part of any lease. Additionally, the incumbent will manage and act as USP’s liaison to the outside contractor that maintains all building systems. This position manages and oversees all building maintenance contracts.
This is a hands-on supervisory position responsible for maintaining all facility related building systems, including responding to any abnormality 24/7. This position is mostly operational in nature but does have a strategic element. The incumbent will manage and act as a liaison between USP and the outside company used to maintain USP facilities. This includes directing the companies on site staff ensuring all systems are adequately maintained while following USP’s rules governing “Contingent Employees”. This position will ensure that all USP owned and operated facilities are operating at all times so other staff may have the proper environment to conduct productive work.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Using acquired skills ensure that all USP owned and operated facilities are fully functional 24/7 as related to HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and structural
- Manage outside vendors and their staff to ensure that all items related to building maintenance are conducted in a timely fashion, per the manufactures recommendations or within required governmental regulations
- Oversees and performs routine maintenance, preventative maintenance, on-call maintenance and supervises capital improvement projects as needed for the facility
- Provides mechanical, and other technical support for all building support systems including HVAC, electrical, mechanical, structural, plumbing and building automated systems
- Ensures preventative maintenance programs are established, performed and properly documented for building, property, equipment and machines
- Uses diagnostic equipment and evaluates all available information in order to solve problems and make proper repairs
- Participates in facets of inspections and surveys including: HVAC, electrical, fire suppression, plumbing and other systems as needed
- Makes recommendations to add, replace, or eliminate equipment that supports building operations
- Assists in executing plans and project improvements, as well as monitoring building systems, correct defective and inefficient operations through remedial maintenance and on time response to emergencies
- Manages service requests from staff using company work order system (CMMS)
- Maintains a safe and clean work area and ensures that required safety precautions are used at all times
- Tracks spending by each piece of equipment to be used for justification of replacement or maintenance
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager
- Associates degree required.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in performing the following skilled trades: equipment maintenance and repair, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, HVAC and other duties required to maintain operation and appearance of assigned facilities.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience managing technicians, outside vendors, contractors and/or as a liaison with an outside maintenance organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Facilities management.
- Advanced computer skills; experience in Micromain or other computerized maintenance management system desired
- Experience creating budgets and monitoring of department spending
- Ability to read and understand drawings, schematics, sketches, floor plans, specifications and instructions.
- Strong customer service focus and excellent interpersonal skills
- Must possess ability to adjust to changing priorities and exhibit sound judgment
- Ability to interact with all staff levels in a professional manner
- Ability to demonstrate a strong sense of urgency when required
- Must be organized and recognize the need to maintain building facilities in a neat and organized fashion
- Ability to work independently and productively
- Individual must possess the ability to influence without direct authority.
- Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes.
- Ability and desire to work well with diverse employees and customers in a cooperative and friendly manner
- Must possess ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Able to work flexible hours when needed, in addition to normal business hours of 8:30 a.m. 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Serves on a team to provide 24 hour a day, 7 days a week response to emergency alarm calls and can be available on short notice to support requests during unusual hours, especially early or late in the day during the business week
- Must also be able to facilitate occasional projects not possible during normal business hours due to vendor necessity or customer impact (e.g. ability to be on call for any critical system issues)
- Ability to lift/move up to 75 lbs.; must be able to work on ladders, climb stairs and work at heights
Manages contract staff
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular