Director, Organizational Development
United Way Worldwide (UWW) is the world’s largest privately-funded nonprofit. Our global mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities around the world. United Way envisions a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability, and healthy lives. United Way employees possess the passion, expertise, and resources required to make great things happen–we invite you to be a part of the change–to Live United.
The Director of Organizational Development is a member of the Talent Management & Board Development team and plays a key role in managing the organizational development and change management initiatives to enable and drive a high performance culture for United Way. The position reports to the Vice President, Talent Management and provides strategic and tactical leadership in a dynamic, fast-paced, and results-driven environment.
The Director is responsible for managing organizational development, change initiatives and projects, which includes consulting support directed at improving United Way business results through changes to processes, systems, structure, culture, and/or ways of working. The Director is responsible for creating resources, training, and processes to enable successful implementation of organizational development and change management initiatives. This work includes integration of existing HR and talent resources as well as processes such as competencies, recruitment, onboarding, succession planning, performance management, and strategically aligning the work with all other aspects of the Talent Management Strategy. The Director will provide consulting services to United Way network members and will serve as a strategic partner in facilitating organizational change processes. Delivering results and quality service and products to the Network is necessary to the success of the position.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION: An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at, or above, a satisfactory level:
- Manages and Creates Organizational Development (OD) Strategies and Processes.
- Develops solutions for specific organizational and business problems, aligns stakeholders to objectives and plans to implement those solutions.
- Conducts assessments and uses data to provide consultation on organizational effectiveness interventions that will close gaps from current to desired future state.
- Creates resources, tools, trainings, and other related products to enable strategy implementation. Monitors and continually improves the effectiveness of OD programs, products to ensure advancement of the organizational strategy and culture.
- Partners with senior leaders, teams, finance, HR and operations, to ensure integration of OD work with other core organizational and talent programs, curriculum and concepts such as talent acquisition, succession planning, performance management, onboarding, competencies and other HR/talent work and priorities. Other organizational priorities and strategies.
2. Creates and Implements Change Management Strategy and Framework.
- Develops effective change management strategies, frameworks and project plans to ensure successful implementation. Manages critical projects and/or initiatives, appropriately applies change management principles, philosophies, and practices to deliver desired results.
- Creates actionable deliverables: communications plan, sponsor roadmap, coaching plan, training plan, resistance management plan, monitor change readiness / progress at key project milestones.
- Supports realization of the business strategy by building and implementing competencies, behaviors, structures, processes to successfully manage organizational re-structuring, re-design, staffing models, culture, etc.
- Provides expert facilitation and training on change management to ensure organizational performance, team effectiveness, structure/design, governance practices, culture and other HR processes support achievement of business goals.
3. Leads Implementation of OD and Change Management Projects, Initiatives and Programs.
- Demonstrates exceptional Project Management: creates project plans, manages project implementation, creates teams, provides thought leadership, and engages with stakeholders to gather and share data, and mobilizes groups of people to adopt the new approaches.
- Designs, creates and implements appropriate OD and change frameworks, resources, toolkits, guides, webinars and training, collaborates with United Way members to co-create.
- Manages committees, councils, and task force to drive implementation and scale results.
4. Provides Consultative Support and Services to United Way Members.
- Provides consulting support and services, understands business needs and creates actionable solutions, tools and resources in various Org Management, People Development, Assessments, HR, Org Design, Staffing and Performance areas.
- Provides expert facilitation, consults with CEOs, senior leaders and human resource partners (as appropriate) to assess and identify business needs and provide recommendations for organization design, staffing and alignment of the structures, processes, and people with the business strategy.
- Prepares and manages budgets, as well as prepares budgetary recommendations for clients to meet organizational goals and provide for effective management of resources.
- Creates and delivers webinars and training opportunities around organizational development and change management methods and tools to scale the learning and processes across the worldwide United Way network.
5. Ensures Strategic Organizational Alignment with HR, Talent Management and Culture.
- Provides expertise and supports the development of competency models, talent acquisition, onboarding, succession planning, performance management, and other critical talent and HR systems, processes and resources.
- Supports the implementation of the organization-wide talent management programs, flexibly adapting to serve multiple audiences, across worldwide organization.
6. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Organizational Behavior, Organizational Development, HR, with relevant business, OD, change management, consulting and HR functional experience.
- At least 5-7 years of experience in Organizational Development, with strong knowledge of the Organizational Effectiveness, Change Management, HR, Talent Management.
- Minimum 3 years of consulting experience with a combination of change management and organizational development expertise in a large, global organization.
- Exceptional Project Management skill set experience with managing multiple projects, with multiple clients simultaneously with great success.
- Demonstrated expertise in organizational design, job analysis/design, creating staffing models, implementing and managing culture change and transformation initiatives.
- Strong knowledge and experience in organizational development and effectiveness interventions, best practices, and applications.
- Strong knowledge and experience in a variety of change management principles, practices, processes and techniques.
- Demonstrated experience managing large, complex projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated strategic leadership and ability to understand the strategic context, translate organizational change implications and generate a change approach, solutions that drives the desired results.
- Demonstrated success working with and managing cross-functional teams, committees, councils in identifying organizational development gaps, defining solutions, and managing the implementation with tangible results.
- Knowledge and experience in utilizing organizational development models and assessment tools.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to Julia.email@example.com or call 703-836-7100 ext. 428 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to apply.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. Please apply via the online system. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.