Duties and Responsibilities:
INTRODUCTION AND POSITION OBJECTIVE
The Protocol Officer position is located in the IADC Office of Protocol and receives direct supervision from the Chief of Protocol. The Office of Protocol is responsible for planning, organizing and implementing a broad range of protocol and public relations functions including, distinguished guest speakers, seminars, ceremonies, academic trips to Latin America and within the United States of America, welcoming visitors, change of office ceremonies and IADC convocation and graduation ceremonies. The Office is also responsible for special events organization such as trips within the local area, retirement ceremonies, awards ceremonies, anniversary functions and others. The primary purpose of this position is to provide protocol (50% of the time), public affairs (25% of the time) and administrative (25% of the time) support to the office.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the Chief of Protocol with all administrative aspects of the Protocol Office including the prerequisites for staff meetings, conferences, presentations and special events. Gathers documents in multiple languages for distribution throughout the international community.
- Responsible for administrative support required for all visits to the College, College Graduations, Convocations, Anniversaries, etc. For example, programs, diplomas, medals, place cards, chair tags for VIPs, invitations, RSVP lists, and certificates.
- Assists with planning and executing the monthly Circle of Friends group events and local trips to various locations of interest. Responsibilities involve designing and printing invitations, and programs and helping to track RSVPs.
- Assists with Protocol-related requirements for IADC trips.
- Attends functions to provide support or event coordination, as needed/requested.
- Assists with questions of protocol, precedence, and local customs and practices; develops and maintains local contact lists and guest lists, orders of precedence within and across groups, seating arrangements, and other protocol-related guidance for the IADC.
- Coordinates catering for special events. Maintains contacts with multiple catering contractors and recommends menus that are appropriate and within allotted budget. Seeks to achieve best value for all catered events.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR RECRUITMENT
Secondary school diploma is required. A Bachelor’s degree in the field of administration, journalism, and/or international affairs is desired.
Minimum two years of experience in a related field, or similar responsible position with business or official event planning and organizing responsibilities.
- Language Skills
Ability to read, write, and speak fluent English and Spanish is required. Knowledge of Portuguese and/or French is desirable.
- Possess organizational skills; demonstrated administrative ability, sound judgement, tact, courtesy, and discretion.
- Ability to communicate clearly; possession of both written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures in a variety of organizations, to include the OAS, government agencies and the general public.
- Mandatory understanding of MS Windows and Microsoft Office Professional (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
Must be able to travel in the United States and abroad. Must have a valid passport.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Basic gross salary per annum of $43,848. Benefits include annual leave, sick leave, health insurance, life insurance, and retirement savings plan. Applicants are eligible for tax reimbursement. For more information about salary and benefits contact Oscar Gomez at email@example.com.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Fill out attached application Form (IADB Form P-1) AND
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae in English; failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
3. Any other documentation (e.g., certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
Applicants, who fulfill the minimum requirements, as listed in the employment opportunity, will be considered in the selection process. Only those with the best qualifications will be invited for an interview. The Inter-American Defense Board does not discriminate against any individual, employee, or application for employment on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or status as a parent.
SUBMIT COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGE TO:
Inter-American Defense College