The President has ordered a government-wide hiring freeze subject to certain limited exceptions. This position is subject to the hiring freeze. Although we are moving forward with the consideration of candidates, we will not make a selection for this vacancy announcement unless and until the position is no longer subject to the hiring freeze.
If you applied on vacancy announcement number NCJT178681291910926HM, you must re-apply on this announcement to be considered.
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
23 bed Medical Surgical Nursing Unit. The incumbent will be taking care of Active duty, retirees and their family members. Patient population includes, but not limited to Urology, Orthopedic, General Surgery and Bariatric patients. The unit also takes care of wounded warrior from theater of operation. The LPN will take care of Pre/post anesthesia care patients in accordance of recognize nursing practice and scope of care.
Parking at WRNMMC is very limited and is primarily first come, first serve. The use of commuting alternatives is highly recommended. The Mass Transit Fringe Benefits (MTFB) are available to Federal Civilian employees. This is in addition to the current salary, up to $ 125 per month (subject to change), for the commuting costs using Mass Transit. MTFB can be applied to rail, bus and/or approved vanpools but not parking costs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work requires considerable and strenuous physical exertion, such as standing for long periods of time; recurring bending, stooping and stretching or similar activities. Employee may be required to lift objects greater than 50 pounds in positioning and moving adult and neonatal patients.
Who May Apply:
All US Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States.
- Not Required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Practical Nurse, GS-0620-06:
Licensure: A current license to practice as a practical or vocational nurse in a State, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia; OR must have applied for a license to practice. Applications of candidates possessing a license must be accompanied by a certified or photostatic copy of the license, a notarized statement attesting to the fact, or a citation of the license number and State issuing it. Non-licensed candidates who have completed their training may be appointed subject to obtaining the required license during the probationary period. Those not licensed must furnish the date on which they applied for a license and the jurisdiction involved. No person appointed pending licensure may be retained beyond the probationary period if licensure has not been attained.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirement listed below:
Experience required: One year of nursing experience in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures, performing such duties as: collecting data from patient necessary to identify patient medical condition; providing input to patient's care plan; implement provider's patient care plan; performing basic cardio life support resuscitative procedures, vital signs, specimen collection, electrocardiograms; administering medication. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing. This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- This position is covered by the Department of Defense Civilian Employee Drug-Free Workplace Program as a testing designated (TDP). You are required to pass urinalysis testing, as required prior to appointment and periodically thereafter.
- This position requires you to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical examination.
- This position has a mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirement and the incumbent is therefore subjected to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position has been designated as Mission Essential and the incumbent must assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- This position requires the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.