Student Trainee (Administration), GS-0399-04 (TI-SH)
- Full Time
This is a temporary position. In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
The work schedule may be adjusted during school breaks and the summer period.
Salary: $15.54 (Step 01) to $20.20 (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- You must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); and
- Enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved home school; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum.
- Students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis.
- You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Prgm.
- Not Required
This internship is geared toward students majoring in one of the following areas of study: business administration, finance, accounting, public administration, or other similar programs.
For more information on basic qualifications, please click on the following: Administrative Operations Assistant 0303 job series.
GS-04: All applicants must meet at least one of the following to qualify for the GS-04 level:
A. One year of general experience that included progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled; OR
B. Successful completion of two full years (60 semester hours/90 quarter hours) of education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college, or university; OR
C. Equivalent combination of post high school education and general experience, as described above (CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO COMBINE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE).
All applicants must meet qualification and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- This is a temporary internship to complete project work that’s temporary in nature. The appointment is not-to-exceed 1-year and can be extended without further competition based on the need of the organization for the work to continue and provided the individual continues to meet the eligibility requirements described below.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
- If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts and/or letter from the school stating you are enrolled in a degree/certificateprogram on at least a half time basis in good standing and your expected graduation date.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.